Re: Transatlantic Model (it's on it's way)

The record has changed hands an number of times. For details see:

N°142: Distance in a straight line : 832.43 km Date of flight: 14/06/1998 Pilot: Ronald C. CLEM (USA) Course/place: Lamoine, CA (USA) - Sepulveda, CA (USA)

N°142: Distance in a straight line : 529.36 km Date of flight: 03/09/1994 Pilot: Maynard L. HILL (USA) Course/place: Wertzville, PA (USA) - Wytheville, VA (USA)

N°142: Distance in a straight line : 455.23 km Date of flight: 28/09/1983 Pilot: Maynard L. HILL (USA) Course/place: Greencastle, PA (USA) - Wytherville, VA (USA)

Red S.

project......

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Rob - I think you got some sand in your vagina... I was simply saying that going forward with a project after a failure without a good understanding what caused the failure is not good engineering practice...

Reply to
Newbee

what you need is a douche bag, douche bag !

Reply to
lithops

Lets get this back on a good note...TAM 5 is still going strong.

For the record the guys only got on garbled signal from the plane before it was lost. As far as I know they do not know what happened........Haven't we all had an engine quit for a reason that we have never found out.......How many aviators were lost in the early days trying to cross the Atlantic....not too many people knew what happened to them....but we kept going....

Go TAM 5

Craig

understanding

project......

Reply to
Craig Trickett

I recall Maynard Hill flying down route 81 here in central Pa. years ago on one of his teams record attempts. I believe that model is in the Smithsonian. I have been watching this for a while and checking the updates on the model. This is exactly why the web is so fantastic. Were else can so many interested parties around the world watch as the attempt unfolds. 20 years ago we would have read about it a few months later in a magazine. Simply put, this is good stuff:) rick markel

Reply to
Aileron37

Reply to
arnereil

Ditto!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

To answer your question - transatlantic has already been crossed by a fully automated unmanned model RC airplane in 1998. That plane weighed about 30 lbs. The Spirit of Butts Farm is much smaller at ~11 lbs and its made mostly out of Balsa. I suspect it is just a matter of time (and luck) before one of the models makes the crossing.

Reply to
mn

The significant difference is that the TAM planes meet the FAI definition of a model plane. The earlier 30lb planes do not. The FAI weight limit is

5kg.
Reply to
John Privett

Over half way!

Paul McIntosh

Hmm. Not now I suspect. The web site says 20:16 GMT and its past midnight now :(

I wonder if it hates rain? There's a front where it seems to have died?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I guess you guys know that it made it by now! Totally awesome!

-- downeym - Electric Addict

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

downeym