Re: Transmitter Crystal

The problem is that its not the person changing the crystal that is
affected, its the person on the adjacent channels that is at risk. We
had this problem at our field, where one of the newbies changed
transmitter crystals. Another person on an adjacent channel flew his
plane by the transmitter and lost control of his $2500. aircraft, and
it was eventually completely detroyed. The newbies transmitter was
taken to a tech, who verified that the new crystal caused the
frequency to bleed into the adjacent channel and most likely caused
the accident. The newby payed restitution for the damage to the plane
and engine. So, if you change crystals, you best make sure that your
transmitter does not bleed into adjacent frequncies, or you may have a
big price to pay!
Moot

> >It's really amaizing! Of all the responses to the original question, only
> >THREE of you even came close to answering it (out of 16 resposes). And BTW,
> >all three pretty much hit the nail on the head. The rest of you elected to
> >use this as yet another bicker session over the legality of owners changing
> >crystals in the US.
>
> You presume those of us who chose to 'bicker' SAW the original query. >
> The earliest post I saw, or had access to, made the blanket statement
> that it is legal to change crystals in transmitters used in The Radio > Control Service.
>
> It isn't, and I for one do tend to follow the rules.
>
> Wouldn't want to put my FCC ticket in jeopardy for _any_ reason. >
> For all I care, you can stuff your crystals where the sun don't shine.
Reply to
Moot
I have a hard time beliving this, unless the transmitter was also bleeding badly before changing crystals. The transmitters are center tuned out of the factory our frequencys are interleaved with frequencies for pagers and other devices. While it might be possible to bleed from your channel to the adjacent iterleaved channel by just changing the crystal, something has to be wrong in the first place. I once had someone complaining that my transmitter was bleeding onto his channel. I sent the transmitter in and had it checked out, it was OK, I asked that the frequency be changed at the time so that I wouldn't be next to the person who complained. A few weeks later this person crashed and tried to blame me, I showed him I was no longer next to his channel. IMO he had a bad reciever.
Reply to
Sport_Pilot
Use of alternative brand Xtals cut for different loading may cause significant TX tuning offset according to Greg in teh UK, who tested some.
Anecdotally I got a shitload of interference yesyterday, which was strange, cos there ain;t another transmitter withing miles. There are a lot of VHF radio masts tho :)
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher