Simple servo question

Check out the listings for servo controllers on this web site.
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/gadgets.htm
I was researching this just yesterday and have a similar situation. I have
made what is called the $14 steadycam ( http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/ ) but with a taller top pipe. I have used this to tape my sons' football game band performances. I want to make it even taller maybe 8' so I can get a higher perspective.
The problem that I have is I want to control the zoom. Both ways I have come up with use RC components, either a servo or a push rod.
Just in case you want to know, I plan on using a small LCD monitor (surplus travel video game display) to see what I'm doing.
PS You can also buy them fro around $20. Search for a servo tester.