Spektrum receiver work with any servo?

Hello,
Wondering if Specktrum DSS receiver (AR6000 DSM DuaLink 6-Channel Park Flyer Rx) will work with any other brand servos? Particularly hitech?
Thanks
| Wondering if Specktrum DSS receiver (AR6000 DSM DuaLink 6-Channel Park | Flyer Rx) will work with any other brand servos? Particularly hitech?
They appear to be completely standard -- so yes, they would.
I've only seen one non-standard servo lately. Well, two --
1) the VEX system that Radio Shack is selling for robots and the like appears to have perfectly standard servos, but the plugs are different, with wire prongs sticking out rather than aaccepting metal prongs.
http://www.vexlabs.com/images/vex-robotics-system/servo-small.gif
Of course, this is a very minor issue and could be easily fixed with an easily made adapter. It's very similar to the old Aitronics servo plug ...
2) the Parkzone servos have *5* wires rather than three. Apparantly you've got two wires for the motor, and three wires for the pot, so I guess they moved some of the circuitry out of the servo and into the receiver/esc unit.
I'm sure it's relatively simple matter to take the electronics out of a more standard servo and convert one of these servos to a standard servo, and it ought to be possible to modify a standard servo to work with the Parkzone setup (essentially disconnecting all the electronics, assuming that the pot values are similar) though it really doesn't seem time effective -- either just buy more Parkzone servos, or ditch their ESC/RX and replace it with standard equipment.
Still, I have to wonder why they decided to do it this way. My guess is that they wanted to lock people into buying replacement parts from them and not from Hitec and others. It could also be done to save costs, but I don't see where it would save enough costs to be useful.
Bad Parkzone, no donut. And I'll go out of my way to avoid giving you any business if I can easily avoid it.
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com Life - Sexually transmitted, always fatal

snip

snip
All the electronics are on the receiver PCB.
If you Parkzone goes wonkie sometime check the wire pins that the servo plugs into. Have found several with bad / broken / cold solder joints.
May be related to using no lead solder.
Hugh repair guy

That's a definite maybe! :) mk PS: Doug, have you been the the new hobby shop in Cedar Park? mk

mk, I heard from a friend that it is better than all the shops in SA
| > Bad Parkzone, no donut. And I'll go out of my way to avoid giving you | > any business if I can easily avoid it. | | That's a definite maybe!
It is! I picked up two Parkzone Strikers and a Decathalon cheap recently, and was annoyed at the servos. But they fly OK for what they are, so that's good, but if something breaks, I'd probably buy a replacement servo or whatever. But I won't buy any new planes set up like this.
| PS: Doug, have you been the the new hobby shop in Cedar Park?
I heard that one popped up after Cedar Park Hobbies went away, but that they dealt mostly in cars, which I don't care that much about. Are you saying they're worth checking out?
Cedar Park Hobbies will be missed -- they had by far the most glider and electric stuff anywhere in the area. Discount Hobbies in Georgetown has a good selection, and the best prices in the area. Alas, it's a long drive. The two Hobbytowns in town have high prices and limited selections, though they're getting better in the selection department as they carry more electric stuff.
"That's one small step for man..." "STOP POKING ME!!!!"
">

No. I justs hadn't stopped there yet.

I bought my first elec. there. Super Flea. Long Drive? That's relative. :)(2 hrs from here) mk
The two Hobbytowns in town have high prices

Yes, I am using Hitec 55's and GWS pico servos with them. Everything RF in the Spektrum is unique to their implementation of DSS. Everything baseband in the Spektrum is similar to other modern R/C systems.
Abel