Stuffing everything into the damn fuselage!

Hi all

I've posted here a few times already in reagards to the powered glider (OK Models Caloway) that I'm still building.

My final, and largest, obstacle in the whole assembly process has now become how to cram everything into the fuselage. I realize this is a common issue with R/C planes (I built a glider once before), and I've done quite a bit of mechanical/electronics work in the past requiring extremely cramped enclosures. However, I cannot see any possible way I'm going to be able to cram everything into this fuselage and still have the battery be removable in any practical sense.

If everything were going to be more or less fixed in there I'd have no problem, but I've got to squash cables, bend and twist stuff. I am certain that after a few times removing the battery for charging something is going to get damaged.

Incidentally, the items inside are: Motor, speed controller, receiver and nicad battery pack (and one servo towards the back). Due to the fuselage design, the battery pack must be located on the bottom of the fuselage with the other components above it.

I see only two possible options at this point:

  1. Keep the battery fixed inside the plane and charge it in place. I realize this means I cannot swap out battery packs and also presents a potential hazard by charging it inside the plane (though, is this as bad for ni-cads as the lithium batteries I've heard of?)

  1. Cut an opening on the bottom of the fuselage and use it to install/remove the battery. (Note, the way the fuselage is constructed, there is no way to have the battery be on the top near the removable canopy - the battery must be on the bottom.) If I cut this hole on the bottom, I would reinforce it and make a removable plate.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Regards,

Monkeyboy

Reply to
MonkeyBoy

I think not.

Sounds to me like the way to go.

But make darned sure that you've got a good system to keep the batteries in the plane.

I saw a .61-powered plane go in because the batteries fell out of the battery hatch in flight. It was ugly. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Would getting a cell pack made up in a stick configuration help any?

-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic

us out for "revolting" information.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Suggestions: shorten all wires to the least required,then solder. Remove the case from the receiver. Plug connectors together rather than use a switch. That buys a little space, maybe not enough for your particular application.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

Bet a speed controller that includes a BEC (battery elimination circuit). That will allow you to leave out the receiver battery!!!

Reply to
jeboba

Thanks for the advice.

Incidentally, my motor speed controller does the the battery elmination circutitry, so everything runs off just my one batter pack (which is the "stick" type).

I've decided to try to create an access hatch on the bottom of the fuselage. After all, I know I'll be wanting to bring a few charged battery packs to the field. If that doesn't work out okay, I'm just going to semi-permanently mount the pack in the fuselage.

-MB

Reply to
MonkeyBoy

Or, put a back cargo door on it like a C130 Hercules or hinge the nose or tail and get it out that way.

Hope this helps, Peter

Reply to
Bushy