Super Tiger

I have heard bad things about the SuperTigre 3000 engine. Looking for information about it. Going to buy one for a float plane project. Should I look for a 2500 or a 3250 instead? Thanks, Andy and Jim

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Get an OS 1.60FX and have no problems at all. No special fuel and no funky carb set up. I wouldn't be surprised if the OS is even a tad more powerful than the long of tooth S3000.

Of course, there are other brands of largish glow engines, such as Moki. If I really needed more power than the OS 1.60FX, I would lean toward the Moki

2.10. Again, a sweet engine without factory installed problems to contend with.

Maybe Tower and the new Chinese makers have ironed out the old Tiger's problems. I don't know, but I wasn't impressed with them when they were made in Italy. On the other hand, the ST 2300 was a nice engine, but it is probably too small for what you are planning on doing.

I like ST engines, but the S3000/3250 was a bear to sort out. I don't know about you, but I would rather be flying. Now, if you had a local expert with experience setting up the S3000 and getting it going properly...

The large ST's are not engines that only take a tank or two of fuel to break-in. And until they are broken-in, they can be very cantankerous. The money that you save by buying a large bore ST over a Moki 2.10 is going to be seriously eaten into by the long break-in and fuel costs. I see used Moki

2.10s for sale on RC Universe from time to time at good prices.

Good luck.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Should I look for a 2500 or a 3250 instead?

I think you should look at a gas engine. They're much cheaper to run, easier to adjust, and require almost no weekly maintenance. No daily tweaking, and no flameouts; very important when you're over water. I tell anyone who will listen; if you're thinking of over 1.2 cu.in., think of gas first.

The ST 2XXX-3XXX series tends to run hot and be cranky to adjust. They also take a LONG time to properly break in. This only applies to this series, the rest of the ST line are great engines.

Dr.1

Reply to
Dr1

I have an Italian 2500 model changed the carb for a twin needle type it now happily throws an 18 X 8 prop using 10%. I've seen the Moki's if you get a good one great but if not UGH!!! The petrol engines although economical with fuel do lack torque and thrust unless you go up a step.

Reply to
Johny H

They also tend to weigh more for the same power. That's Ok if you need the extra weight up front.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

The problem with the ST 3000 is in the CARB.... the carb leans out at full pwr. because there is no ventura effect,, just a straight thru bore,, as a result the piston/cylinder over heats & binds.....replace the carb with a OS...or rework/modify the stock ST carb......Chas.

Reply to
bauchas

I could be wrong, but I thought the 2000, 2500, and 3000 all went out of production some time back.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Technically, all Super Tigres went out of production when the Italian factory was closed. I was just looking at a Tower Ad and saw that series of engines in the picture. But what do I know? What are we talking about?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I guess its like everything else, they are made in China now.

Reply to
Sam Tucker