The End of R/C

Er...haven't you missed a 'not' out there somewhere?

Nothing new there, then.

I sympathise. I live in one of the few parts of England that, until a few months ago, was still suitable for putting up an astropnomiacl telescoe and being actually able to see stars, rather than a haze of orange light spread uniformly acrssoss the sky.

Until some merchant banker decided to 'upgrade' an old cottage to resemble a hollywood shag pad and create something akin to a supermarket car park in front of it, complete with floodlights.

If you happen to be visting with a silenced subsonic rifle, there is excellent shooting to be had nearby...rabbits as well :)

I would not worry TOO much. I have dome a few cost studies

as part time consultant to a small UK broadband company.

The domianmnt cost to providing broadband is teh lats mile circuit and associated equipment. ADSL and cable works because the phonelines are there, but still need a piece of termination equipment per subscriber. Power companies ar faced with diminishing margins, not onl because they have ripped off most of them into directors pockes, but because there is an impending energy crisis, made rather worse by the ecent actiuons in teh middle east.

Leveraging installed badse of power wires looks superficially attractive, but actually there is a beter way to get broadband to usrs, and that is distrubuted microwaves: Technology and the 5Ghz spectrum are JUST becoming avaialable. Cel phone towers that already exist are suitable co-location points and already have data power and masts avialable. The total available bandwith theoteically exceeds that aviailable to any wired technology, apart from very very high quality cable, and there is only a single piece of kit needed to serve multiple subscribers.

Its likely that most rural broadband needs will be met by this technology in a few years, and power line transmission will be stillborn.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am merely responding in kind. :-) Or do you condier 'DH' to be an appelation of enderament?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Going back in time, does anyone remember when Loran "A" was introduced?

This navigation service, for all intents and purposes, rendered the former

160meter ham band useless.

Mike

interference

Reply to
Mike

No. In the US, CB is on 26/27 MHz. No one flies R/C on 27 MHz intentionally, once they are aware of the danger that has always existed. Oddly enough, my first R/C system was on 27.195 MHz back in 1969.

Cell phones are on 800/900 MHz.

Pager transmitters are another matter entirely, but they were there from the very beginning and they do cause problems occasionally.

Let's hope so.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Grumpy when sober isn't he? Or is it just the thought of having his pint taken away from him?

You know DH, you can call me any name you wish. They do absolutely noth>

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Ed,

You're sounding as if you've already given up!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Where have you seen these ads?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

astropnomiacl telescoe dome domianmnt

Etc!

Short wagon ride DH! Keep trying!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

They were running quite heavily in the Denver and Chicago market (I have satellite). Start with a little kid with a plastic model and then goes through the kid's life where he is eventually shown flying an R/C. The caption then says something like "We've been looking for you" and shows a Predator drone and it's pilot sitting at a console.

Pretty cool ad.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Give it up C.O.

TNP refuses to learn to type properly - he 'hunts-n-pecks' the keyboard. That's why you see all the garbage in his posts - been that way for years.

David

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

Ah yes! That one I've seen. I was wondering if there was something new. Last I knew the Air Force was still requiring all UAV pilots to be rated AF pilots first.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Yeah! I probably should. No doubt the boy has no clue what a fool he's making himself out to be.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Yeah, it's over.... You need to send me all of your useless R/C equipment, ok?

Reply to
Joe D.

Sure. Go to eBay and place the winning bid or Buy It Now. I'll be glad to send it your way.

Actually, I've already sold a goodly amount of it. I'm not selling out entirely. Just the stuff that requires a well manicured flying field to fly from.

I hate clubs. Truthfully, this is not a recent development. I've always hated clubs.

I started flying control line from any location that would tolerate my presence when I was an early teenager. That more or less set my preferences in the hobby. No encumbrances, no elections, no politics, no local officials to hassle with, no official flying fields to lose, etc. That's just the way I started and it's the way that I still enjoy things. I do like having other people around. Two or three friends are just fine. I leave at the first sign of a pissing contest. I'd rather be sorting socks.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

ROFLOL! That is really a good question. I don't have a clue how you look at it, I thought I was being nice by calling you the name YOU signed to one of your posts. Personally, I find it offensive so I use the initials rather than the exact terminology you seem to prefer. Isn't that the reasonable thing to do?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I never sign any of my posts.

So as usual you have been unavle to understand the content.

Only for a DH.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

.....and off tpic, isn't it amazing how just about EVERY one of my predictions about GWB amd chums, and Iraq, have come, or are coming true?

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just as our predictions about you have all come true!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

The only one who's "unavle" DH is you! Sober up you twit!

Reply to
C.O.Jones