The final word on Spinners vs. Nose Cones

Nose Cones and Spinners
From Webster's Third New International Dictionary
Nose Cone: A protective cone constituting the forward end of a rocket
or missile and capable of withstanding the heat caused by reentry into the earth's atmosphere.
Spinner: A streamline fairing usually of sheet metal and roughly conical or paraboloid in form which is attached to a propeller boss and revolves with it.
Frank Schwartz
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 10:03:19 -0500, Frank Schwartz

Frank-
Final word? Surely you jest.
Your source is faulty. Most Spinners are plastic. As for the metal ones, some are turned from bar stock (TruTurn), some apprear to be cast (Kavan, the old Perfect brand). Just try to find one that is formed from sheet metal.
And as for Nose Cones, according to Webster they are only found on ICBM reentry vehicles.
Abel
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

.......and people who have constructed cheap home-made disguises. Usually accompanied by unfashionably thick-rimmed spectacles and a wig. Worn as a beard.
Steve
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Abel Pranger wrote:

not on full sized ??? models maybe and if you type define:spinner into google it comes back with The nose cone which covers the hub of the propeller. if you believe tower hobbies that is

nose cone front consisting of the conical head of a missile or rocket that protects the payload from heat during its passage through the atmosphere
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There is never a "final word." The language and definitions of words evolve to reflect popular usage, whether correct or incorrect. If a word is given a new use and it becomes commonly used, it becomes "right." Semantic progression, it is....
Good flying, desmobob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
First of all, gentlemen, the dictionary does not specify r/c model spinners....of course....and to the fellow who said he challanged me to show him a model spinner from sheet metal...I can sell him one...about 5 inches in diameter...made from flat sheet and "turned" on a special machine. I once watched in the Fairchild factory, a spinner being made from a sheet of metal and pressed against a form with a large metal knob at the end of a long wooden pole.. as the metal rotated, the pressure of the tool formed it around the form. It was a "spun" spinner...no pun intended... and as for model airplane engines, most spinners are, agreed, made of plastic, and others turned on a lathe from metal, or cast and polished as the Kavan spinners are... We have no argument here... a spinner is not a nose cone and vice versa... Frank
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
To see a nose cone being spun goto www.metalspinningworkshop.com click free preview
Frank Schwartz wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Interesting....however, let's be specific (look it up in the dictionary)..if it is on the a propellor, it is properly called a spinner. If it is on a rocket..it is a nose cone. If it is on the front of, say a P-38 it is merely the nose of the plane. Let's put an end to this thread. Frank Schwartz
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robert Scott wrote:

So you have to conform to the popular, accepted useage of words. Calling a rotating fairing fixed to a propeller hub a "nose cone" is not conforming to the accepted useage of the term. Dan
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Whatever...
My post was just an observation on semantic progression. You guys can waste time and argue over "spinner vs. nose cone" all you want. :-) (I call it a spinner, BTW)
Good flying, desmobob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robert Scott wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if the term, "spinner" evolved from Frank's observed method of making spinners. Metal spinning (forming metal over a sturdy form on a lathe) has been around for almost as long as the lathe - and that's ancient! Come to think of it, "lathe" derives from "lath," a strip of wood that was bent to provide the power to turn whatever was being turned.
I think there are some spun metal spinners on the market today. Dave Brown, perhaps? Properly done, spun metal parts are of excellent quality.
As for accepting a word that has drifted from its original meaning, I'm one of those curmudgeons who still calls springs in automobiles "shock absorbers," because that's what they do, and what you guys call "shock absorbers" I call "spring dampers," because that's what they do. I also call the namesake part of a disc brake system a disc, NOT a "rotor!" What do you call the namesake part of a drum brake system? A drum! Get the picture? And I rant whenever someone calls a single electric cell a "battery." Two or more cells used together are a battery, damn it! Talk about assinine nomenclature... Continents may drift for reasons beyond human control, but we CAN control silly use of language. Just being "accepted" or "common" doesn't make it sensible!
Geoff the language grouch
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Whew!!, I'll say! <bfg>
--
Jim in NC

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Of course the fact that no one knows precisely what *you're* talking about is of no concern ;-)

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

:-)
Language exists for communication. If people aren't understanding you because you are strictly following language usage rules, then you're not communicating! Of course, the same applies if they're not getting your point because you are not following usage rules closely enough.... =:-0
Good communicating, desmobob (cunning linguist) ;-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robert Scott wrote:

Huh....................?????
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

mmmmmm.......tastes like tuna
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Basically, if a guy doesn't want to sound like a newbie, he needs to do the research, learn the terminology accurately, then use it accurately. Nothing identifies the greenhorn quicker than a bunch of misnomers.
Dan
"Duh," some will say, "What's a misnomer?"
From http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid=1861630477 we read:
mis·no·mer [ miss nṓmər ] (plural mis·no·mers)
noun
Definition:
1. unsuitable name: a wrong or unsuitable name or term for something or somebody
2. calling something by wrong name: a use of a wrong or unsuitable name or term to describe something or somebody
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Misnomer example; "wing flappy things" for ailerons. Sad but true ;-)

Basically, if a guy doesn't want to sound like a newbie, he needs to do the research, learn the terminology accurately, then use it accurately. Nothing identifies the greenhorn quicker than a bunch of misnomers.
Dan
"Duh," some will say, "What's a misnomer?"
From http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid 61630477 we read:
misnomer [ miss n?m?r ] (plural misnomers)
noun
Definition:
1. unsuitable name: a wrong or unsuitable name or term for something or somebody
2. calling something by wrong name: a use of a wrong or unsuitable name or term to describe something or somebody
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Boy, you guys need a hobby or sumthing.
Phil AMA609
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
i love these threads, so entertaining!

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.