Thoughts on Hobbico Superstar EP

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Hobbico Superstar EP ARF? I wasn't able to find a review on this plane. Seems like it would be a good electric trainer for the beginner. Thanks Joe A.

Reply to
Modrocket

I have one and it flys like a trainer. I have a TT.46Pro on it and it will climb straight up if necessary. Unfortunately I hit a fence post and created a big half moon dent in the wing leading edge. Engine quit on the base leg and I couldnt see the post over the hill. I sent email to a company that supplys foam wings. They didnt list that model on the site. I hope they have it. Putting electric in it sounds like a good idea. I will have to weigh the model without the engine to see if I can afford the electric motor. jim

Reply to
jim breeyear

A fellow club member has one and it flies nicely, although only 4-5 minutes on the supplied pack. A 3300 mAh pack gave about 9 minutes. It's a little sedate for a sport plane, but there are upgrades you can make for snappier performance. You didn't say if you were considering the big one or the little one. I think, though, I'd go with a high wing plane for a beginner because they're more stable.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

The Superstar EP that I am looking at has a 48" wingspan, a high wing design, and has elevator and rudder controls only, although I believe you can add the wing that is equipped with ailerons later on. Joe A.

Reply to
Modrocket

I bought one for my son when he was 10. Very stable but a little underpowered. We added a gear drive which increased the performance and extended the flight times. It's gained a little weight from repairs over the past few years and the battery is getting tired. We are upgrading to Li-Poly. You can't go wrong for the money, especially the new aileron version.

Reply to
Fred

He's talking about the NEW EP version.. too new on the market for man

reviews... It just came out this year. If you stuck a .46 on it i would be like sticking a .91 on the old .40 size one. (generally not good idea) The .40 size one has been around for several years.

I offered to give instruction to the guy that bought the new EP versio from the local Hobby shop.. he never called. From looking at the mode at the store... I expect it to be a good model.

Actually.. I was unaware that the Hobbico 4 channel EP trainer had bee on the market more than a few months... (noting the "gained a littl weight over the years" in the previous post..

-- fhhuber50677

----------------------------------------------------------------------- fhhuber506771's Profile:

this thread:

fhhuber506771

oops... brain flatulence... I was thinking Super Sportster EP, not Superstar. Sorry!

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

OOPS big time. I am talking about the Hobbico Superstar

40.....................not the EP version. Soary. I emailed the foam wing company and havent heard a thing regarding a replacement wing for it. It wasnt listed . I would like to know why not. Standard wing i think.
Reply to
jim breeyear