thunder tiger 61

I have run thunder tiger engines for a couple of years and just opened this brand new box after having it kick around for about a year.

Tried running it the first few times and it's not sensitive to the high speed needle adjustment hardly at all.

Did a check of the carb and if I block off the intake and close up the needle valve (lightly against the stop) I get a air leak noise when I work the prop back and forth.

It appears that the fuel is being drawn up from the tank on the compression stroke if I use my finger to choke it, but still falls back when I rotate the prop full turn.

Also has this slight hissing noise like an air leak thru the front bearing, but this is a brand new engine.

anyone had problems with TT quality like this.

Reply to
rcgordo

I have a TT61Pro and it had an extremely narrow adjustment range on the high speed needle. It was fully peaked or it didn't run at all. It was hard to start, like it was not drawing fuel at all. Transition acted like low end was rich. Idling loaded up like it was rich and it would die if it idled for more than

5-10 seconds. Changed plugs (OS-8, McCoy?, Tower, Fox) many times with very little change. After several trips to the field and continually leaning the low end with no improvement, we started richening the low end and it started getting better. Now my engine is easy to start, has a broad range of needle adjustment, idles forever, transitions well, and is totally reliable.

None of this may apply to your engine, though.

Carrell

Tried running it the first few times and it's not sensitive to the high speed needle adjustment hardly at all.

Did a check of the carb and if I block off the intake and close up the needle valve (lightly against the stop) I get a air leak noise when I work the prop back and forth.

It appears that the fuel is being drawn up from the tank on the compression stroke if I use my finger to choke it, but still falls back when I rotate the prop full turn.

Also has this slight hissing noise like an air leak thru the front bearing, but this is a brand new engine.

anyone had problems with TT quality like this.

Reply to
Carrell

An engine that sits for two years likely has bad O-rings in the carb.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

You got the exact symptom pattern I have. As a starting point where is the low end set. Can you define if the adjustment screw is above or below being flush with the collar.

Be very grateful for any additonal help Carrell

gordon

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Carrell wrote:

Reply to
rcgordo