Toy B-52

I got a link from a non-RCer, yeah, they call them toys.......... mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Beautiful! For a moment, I thought I was back flying G-models! I half expected to see a string of 500 pounders drop out of the bomb bay. Watching the video, I was wishing that the real thing had as much acceleration and as good a rate of climb. There were more than a few 488,000 lb take-offs on Guam when I needed the 600 feet of instant altitude the cliff at the end of the runway gave us. I'm curious, did the builder use spoilers or ailerons - I couldn't tell. Would spoilers even work on a model? Anyway, thanks for sharing this video....

"MJKolodziej" wrote in message news:Voo4i.8847$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
BCRandy

On Mon, 21 May 2007 19:01:19 -0400, "BCRandy" wrote in :

I don't know.

They use them on gliders.

May not be required for the model. A lot of things don't scale.

The model crashed early on in its career:

Tribute page:

So sad.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Yes, the model was built with scale spoilers. Look closely, when the plane comes to a stop after landing the right spoiler is raised.

Reply to
WhoDat

"BCRandy" wrote

There was another model (at least I think it is a different one) that used spoilers, and it even crashed like the real one that banked past max and went in at an air show. I'm sure you know which one I'm talking about.

Lots of RC videos link

Test flight of B-52 RC version.

Crash of RC B-52

Real B-52 crash in Washington Note: Not for the squeamish

B-52 crash documentary

Crash analysis and information (text)

For the video crazy, there are A LOT of videos here, most full sized aircraft

Enjoy! Lots to look at!

Reply to
Morgans

On Mon, 21 May 2007 20:31:41 -0400, "Morgans" wrote in :

It's the same one.

8 Wren turbine engines.

Nice set of links. I thought about the parallel with the full-scale, too. What a sad, sad story!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

in :

He probably means did they use spoilers for roll control. If it's the one I think it is the answer is yes, and the crash was due to letting it get rolled over too far when it was going low and slow. When the video of that crash originally came out someone commented that this was a fairly common reason for losing the full scale ones, as well.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The message from Robert Reynolds contains these words:

That was Big Buff Mk1 and a lot was learned about flying giant scale B52's from that aircraft and incorporated in Big Buff Mk2, the new one has much simpler control systems and revised airframe. They say it is easier second time around and so it proved with the new bird which is now flying and hope to see it next month at Cosford in Shropshire, hoping the giant scale Starlifter will be there too,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock (MSW)

That's one of the really interesting things about scale model airplanes. One of the first articles I read when I started in RC was a construction article in Scale RC Modeler about an obscure WWI biplane. The author made a comment about a particular landing hazard that the model shared with the original, and I thought that was really fascinating. It might even have been one of the things that got me hooked on modeling, although I'm not much of a scale builder.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

In fact, the model crashed right at the end of its career.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

On Tue, 22 May 2007 16:29:16 -0600, Robert Reynolds wrote in :

Don't they all? :-P

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ