U CAN DO problems

One of our club members has/had a U can do. The tail came off in flight and needless to say the plane was inthe can when I arrived this evening. Have any of you guys heard of any problems with the tail on this plane? Eddie Fulmer

Reply to
Efulmer

John

In the instructions it warns you to make sure that the stab bolts remain tight after flying and if you don't intend to remove the stab assembly, glue it on. On mine the LG bolts came loose on the first flight and I lost the gear in flight. Bellied in, no damage, loctite solved the prolem. Apparently the t-nuts are not pulled in tightly during factory assembly and the vibration loosens things on the first few flights. Also I would recommend lining the inside of the cowl with another coat of glass 'cause it is quite flimsy. I have a YS91AC/16-6 in mine and really enjoy the way it flies.

Phil AMA609

Reply to
pcoopy

A solidly-attached stab isn't going to just come off in flight. You can easily tell if something isn't attached well enough to withstand flight. Lots of wiggle and flex is generally bad.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

A guy in our club, must have broken off his landing gear 5 times in one day on his U-CAN-DO. The part of the gear that bolts on to the fuse is so narrow that it just snaps nylon bolts. And then the wheels go through the bottom of the wing.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

In this case (U-CAN-DO 3D 60-91 size) the stab is attached with two

6-32 capscrews into a couple of t-nuts. And in my case they were loose after the first couple of flights...can you say loctite.

Phil AMA609

Reply to
pcoopy

We have five of those flying at my field and I believe all have glued-on tail surfaces.

Reply to
John R. Agnew