We need rc-killer-helicopters in Iraq!!!

---------------

Hi, Terry.

I really do not care what kind of vehicle anyone else drives. What I do care about is their attitude toward others sharing the highway. As you have indicated, the attitudes of some folks driving the SUVs are unsafe and careless of others. The same behavior in a smaller car would be laughable.

I understand Britain's dilemma with narrow highways.

While I owned and drove my share of V-8 powered 55 thrus 57 Chevvies back during the Sixties, I also had an opportunity to drive the VW Beetle quite a bit. I loved the Beetle and its small size. It made city driving a piece of cake. I guess I am about cars as I am about model airplanes. I have an appreciation for all sizes and would hate to be without any of them.

At the moment, the wife and I have a couple of recently made minivans. Hers is a Chevy and mine is a Chrysler. I am a Chevy fan, but the fold down seats in the Chrysler won me over quickly. I also like the plush ride of the Chrysler. The Chevy is a little more "trucky" than I care for these days. Both get between 20 and 23 mpg, so they aren't too bad to keep fueled.

A while back I had a Ford Festiva (made by Kia). I loved that little car. It was enormous inside for as small as the outside dimensions were and it just felt good to drive. The automatic transmission was a totally pleasant surprise also. It was not confidence inspiring when being driven at the 70 mph Interstate highway speed limit because of its vulnerability to being shoved around by the turbulence generated by larger vehicles, but anywhere off the Interstate, I preferred the little Kia to the minivans.

Alas, the Festiva had reached the end of its useful life and had to be disposed of. I wish I could find one with low miles to purchase. With the rear seats folded forward, a .40 to .50 size powered model would have fit beautifully. Biplanes are also a good choice for the space challenged folks. I can carry a .40 to .50 sized biplane to the field completely assembled in the little Kia.

While I can appreciate an adequately powered truck when I have a job to do, I actually enjoy driving smaller cars more, for local travel. The great mileage is fine, but what I like is the better view that I get from most of the smaller cars and the ability to do a U-turn without sweating if I'm going to have room to make it or not. I also do some amateur photography and people seem less threatened by someone in a smaller car than a large V-8 powered monster. V-8 powered vehicles have their uses, no doubt, but I will be surprised if I ever own another one.

Ed, NM2K

Reply to
Ed Cregger

| > V8 engines are somewhat rare? No way. | | In dinky little cars, like the ones that the majority of Americans drive | these days. There aren't enough people in the entire West to begin to offset | the people in the North East Corridor.

`Top 10 Best-Selling Vehicles of 2006'

  1. Ford F-Series (includes F-150, F-250 Super Duty and F-350 Super Duty) - 796,039 2. Chevrolet Silverado (includes 1500, 1500 Classic, 1500 SS Classic, 1500HD Classic, 2500HD, 2500HD Classic, 3500HD, 3500 Classic - 636,069 3. Toyota Camry and Camry Solara - 448,445 4. Dodge Ram (includes 1500, 2500 and 3500) - 364,177 5. Honda Accord - 354,441 6. Toyota Corolla - 318,123 7. Honda Civic - 316,638 8. Chevrolet Impala - 289,868 9. Nissan Altima - 232,457 10. Chevrolet Cobalt - 211,449

#1 F-Series -- most have V8 engines, a few have V10s. A very few have V6s.

#2 Chevrolet Silverado -- by far, most have V8 engines. A few have V6s.

#3 Camry -- OK, probably don't come with V8s unless they're riced.

#4 Dodge Ram -- mostly V8.

#8 Chevy Impala -- some have V8s, but most don't.

Ok, let's assume for simplicity that 75% of F-Series, Silverados and Rams have V8s, and I'll assume that no Impalas do. With that assumption, looking at this top ten list, there was 1.3 million vehicles sold with V8 engines, and 2.6 million without.

Is 33% really rare in your world?

And perhaps most Americans drive dinky little cars in your world -- but they're still buying a lot of big trucks and SUVs. Looking at this list, roughly half of the new vehicles sold in 2006 were big rather than small.

Earlier years look similar --

2005
?missing? 2003
every year, the F-Series, Silverado and Dodge Ram are high up there. Earlier years also have the Dodge Caravan, Ford Explorer ...

Remember, these lists are nationwide, not just for Texas. I'm sort of surprised to see that the SUVs fell off the 2006 list completely. Finally, progress!

Sorry, but there's no shortage of V8s on the road. Perhaps you should get out more. You could come down to Texas and fly with us! I'll even make a sacrifice to the rain Gods in your name so they hopefully don't rain on our desert/farm when you're here! I imagine we could rent you a truck/limo if you wanted too, though they might be hard to find.

Austin has three good R/C clubs -- HCAM and ARCA fly gas/glow planes, ARCA also does jets and helicopters (HCAM does some helicopters, but not many) and ASF flies gliders and electrics. Something for everybody! The local hobby shop even does R/C car races on Saturdays if that sounds like fun.

And for a desert/farm, Austin is remarkably green and pretty. Especially now, that we've already had 32" of rain this year or so.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

When I was a youth and had just obtained my driver's license (age 17), fully eighty percent of the cars we saw were powered by V-8 engines. Yes, I'm pulling this number out of thin air. Why? Because we're just talking here. You know, conversation? It is not a contest to see who can make an ass of someone else first. At least it isn't for me.

It would be nice if we could all relax and be friends without trying to make an ass of someone else first.

Who's right? WHO FREAKING CARES?

You don't have many friends, do you?

Have a nice day.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I apologize to Doug McLaren. Sorry for the temper tantrum.

While I think I do a decent job most of the time not letting the pain of diabetic neuropathy show through, I totally blew it that time.

I would love to fly with you and your fellow Texans, Doug. You're good people from what I can tell.

Just ignore this old fart's occasional blow-ups, if you please.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

| It would be nice if we could all relax and be friends without trying to make | an ass of someone else first.

Actually, I was disputing your facts. If you feel that this makes an ass out of you, well, sorry, but perhaps next time you should be more careful about them.

And don't mess with Texas, unless you can do so in a factually accurate way. (Of course, that doesn't look so great on a bumper sticker. Perhaps it could be shortened somewhat ...)

| Who's right? WHO FREAKING CARES?

You do, apparently. | You don't have many friends, do you?

Wow. Haven't heard that one in a while.

If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

| Have a nice day.

And you.

ObR/C related :

After our soaring contest last weekend, it's quite apparent that I either need a better plane or a whole lot more skill if I want to be even remotely close to competitive. It's probably a lot of both.

I suspect that if the conditions were better I might have done better

-- from what I can see, the modern, expensive ships help most when you're flying in marginal conditions, and we were. It was overcast most of the time, and it rained for a while too. We didn't actually fly in the rain, but we'd fly right after it. It also didn't help that the wind kept shifting, and it seemed like 80% of the time we were launching downwind.

Well, a learning experience anyways.

Reply to
Doug McLaren