where to live ?

sick of snow, where is the best place to live ? this should be a long post..

Reply to
Dell Shannon

Sahara desert?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Take a look at

if you are an active modeler.

Also in same area - another large club with the best flying field in the country

Gainesville, home of the University of Florida, also is in the center of the modeling activity in North Central Florida. Other good places to consider are the Dunnellon area

-- Red Scholefield AMA 951 Flying Gators Inc., GNV FL

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Texas! Lack of snow is a minor reason. mk

Reply to
MK

Reply to
Mike Gordon

Amen!!

Reply to
Dell Shannon

That has been one destination discussed by my wife, she enjoys the modeling activities too, and is suggesting a move.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

Arizona has low humidity during the flying season, no mosquitos, no alligators, lots of great flying sites, no tornados, no hurricanes, reasonable housing and cost of living.

Flying season is year around with only the months of July and August generally too hot ot humid all day. Fly at sunrise!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Dittos Northern Nevada

Reply to
Don Hatten

When I was much younger, and realized that I could live anywhere I wanted, I used to worry about "the best place" to live. Gave it a lot of thought. I finally realized that every place has good and bad points--tornados, hurricanes, earthquakes, wind, rain, heat, cold, crowding, isolation, transportation, in-laws and even "perfect" but unchanging weather. So I stopped worrying. Then I got into R/C and am glad I wound up in SW Florida, where we fly 52 weeks a year. Not 365 days, but 52 weeks. Today it was 80 degrees in the afternoon and the wind was 5 mph, right down the runway.

Reply to
John R. Agnew

I don't know about that! I saw a whole lot of snow in San Antonio many moons ago when I was there. Somewhere around 1982-83! :)

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones

I visited a friend in phoenix last year. Stepping off the plane was like walking into an oven. Couldnt take it. Fortunately we were going camping in the mountains (Mogollan rim {sp?}) THAT was a nice place. Real trees, grass, mountains - and the weather was excellent.

Reply to
MikeF

And I have one for sale in Gainesville FL. We are downsizing - staying in the area. 1923 sq ft. 4 br, pool, great workshop in oversize two car garage - well maintained, close to everything.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

There's the rub. Arizona sans Phoenix would be a good place to live. Unfortunately it continues to spread like Los Angeles, and cancer.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

So true. The town I live in has grown from 6,000 to 32,000 + over the past

15 years. A new subdivision was just started for another 3,500 homes. This town was caught without a solid plan for growth and barely a trace of industry. Combine that with the free flowing cash from LA transplantees that approve every tax increase (hey, it's less than we paid there), we are the towns cash cow. What used to take 8 minutes to drive is now a 25-30 minute exercise in frustration with brief periods of road rage tossed in for excitement.

Still, it's hard to beat the weather here. In the winter, if it snows, it's normally gone by noon. Spring comes in like a lion and goes out like one. Mornings and evenings are the best time to fly then. Hottest parts of the summer are still decent except the few weeks of monsoon when the afternoon thunderstorms can either raise the humidity to a level that rivals a bad day in Louisiana or cool it off by 10-15°. There's 3 fields to fly at within 45 minutes and one's even paved. That might sound funny but you people that have always had pavement better appreciate it!

Despite the out of control growth and it's associated pains, we still love it here.

Greg (in the Prescott area, better known as East LA)

Reply to
Greg

Reply to
Ron Weisskopf

Paul,

Really high humidity in the summer is around 30% (maybe). They don't say we live in a desert for nothing. Phoenix gets maybe 7 inches of rain a year. Luke AFB is west of Phoenix. It's the largest F-16 pilot training base in the world. It's here because the flying weather is good about 300 days a year. What more can I say?

Bruce

Paul Mc> Bruce,

Reply to
Bruce Bretschneider

Bruce,

I was being silly! I lived in Phoenix for 8 years and will return there when my tour in the UK is finished in 2005.

The humidity being "only" 30% doesn't tell the whole story, though. Having

30% humidity with 110+ heat is a killer! The dew point regularly reaches 60-70% which is like Houston in the summer!
Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Around Tampa, Florida. People talk about the creepy crawlies (bugs), I prefer to call it life. I'm originally from Boston (yucky winters).The people are friendly here and still lots of good real estate deals. You can fly year round. You get use to the heat. Winters here are the best kept secret (oops)-dry and comfortable. July and August have afternoon rainstorms that you could set your watch by. Starts bout 3 pm and ends bout 5:30 pm. From here you can see the shuttle or whatever taking off in the distance during the day and looks great at night. Greyhound

Reply to
Greyhound