XPS ExtremeLink

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:54:41 -0400, "Morgans" wrote in :

Many times. It's part of every flight for me. I may have too sharp a leading edge or maybe my CG is a little rearward or I have too much throw. Usually I can get it out of a spin just by relaxing the controls and waiting.

I spun inadvertently last September at a small fly-in breakfast. I thought I'd lost it. I finally persuaded myself to drop the throttle and leave it alone. It recovered just above the trees across the runway. That still gives me jitters.

I don't think any of my spins have been very flat. The one that crashed in a spin did NOT hit flat--the nose and one wing got demolished.

Thanks for trying to excuse my mistakes. Much appreciated!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I've discovered that when you get locked into a spin the old NACA (full scale) spin recovery procedure usually works. Full opposite rudder (no aileron) and full down elevator (pop it) hold it until the spin stops. If it's obvious that it won't work (6-7 turns). Try the F-100 spin recovery. Full opposite rudder, full aileron *with* the spin and full *up* elevator. Remember, if neutralizing the controls doesn't work *don't* start hitting the corners (banging the sticks) all you'll do is aggravate the situation. I've found that it is a good practice to use the NACA recovery in all spins. The practice make the procedure ingrained and automatic. Don't snicker - if you fly long enough you may find yourself with a misaligned, mistrimmed monstrosity intent on leaving a smokin' hole ;-) That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I was flying a Japanese ducted fan model - a DJ2 one day, and bored with it's poor airspeed, pulled it up into a stall then got it into a very flat spin. Having no rudder and only elevons meant no matter what I did, it wouldn't get out of it - no airspeed and no prop wash meant the controls did absolutely bugger-all. I watched, helpless, as it span all the way to the ground.

Remarkably, the flatness of the spin, and the lack of undercarriage, meant it had absolutely no damage whatsoever :)

Reply to
Poxy

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:01:22 -0400, "Ed Forsythe" wrote in :

I've put this under a new subject line so that maybe I can find it later in the season.

It sounds like stuff worth working on, but I have to run to class and don't have time to absorb it right now ...

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

The bugger here, is the fact that gremlins have no rudders.

Reply to
Morgans

Today I put the XtremeLink in my Harrier 3D which is a 40 size plane. I flew two flights with the RF deck in the Futaba 9C and followed that with two flights with the module on a MP8K. The system performed flawlessly. My problem the other day was an aileron servo that decided to strip a gear at the wrong time.

This 2.4 GHz stuff is the way to go.

Dan Thompson

Reply to
IFLYJ3

On 20 Apr 2007 13:04:31 -0700, IFLYJ3 wrote in :

Thanks again for the real-world reports.

Much appreciated!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Thanks for the info Jim. Moral = *Never* spin a bird without a rudder/s {-))

Reply to
Ed Forsythe