3d arc

How is an arc created in 3d? I ahve tried and tried, to no avail to find a way to do this. I also tried to find help in the help file,
but cannot seem to find the right words to search on. Can anyone help me?
Rick Crawford
...or rotate it to the desired plane. I'd certainly suggest creating the UCS is generally easier, though.
Michel wrote:

You are correct. I am trying to draw screw conveyor flighting, and can't seem to get there from here. I also don't really know what a spline really is. A 3dpolyline is not allowing me to do anything but straight line segments. In the past, I have seen splines on 2d drawings, and they slways seemed to be unwieldy, in that they could not be exploded, and if anything changed them at all, they might not really show the correct arc. Maybe that is what I need, but I need to learn more before I use that.
Thanks, Rick Crawford

Rick
I mananged a sort of 3d arc although it was a bit fiddly and is not as smooth as I would like it but it would be an ok method for drawing a bridge.
Try it and see it you can improve it to suit your needs:
Kept it in World UCS. I drew a construction line on a layer, so I had a start and end. Changed the thickness to 20. Drew a Start End Direction arc (For some odd reason it would not let me draw a Start End Radius) between the two ends of the construction line.
That gave me a thin flat arc with a thickness of 20 units in the Z direction.
I then copied this arc straight down 10 units using @10<270 when asked for the 2 displacement point. I used the stretch command and highlighted the orignal so I could sanp the ends to the ends of the copy.
That gave me something which looked like a basic bridge but you could see through the side. I changed the variables Surftab1 and Surftab2 to 12 (Changed both because I can never remember which is which!). Then I used the Rulesurf command and first clicked the middle of the nearest line to me of my copy arc and then the middle of the nearest line to me on my orignal arc. That filled it in with a basic filling. I checked it by drawing a line past my 'Bridge' on one side and using the Plan command then the Hide command to check if I could see the line. I couldn't so it seemed to be a minor success.
It also doesn't look too bad when rendered, although it would need more checking.
Hope this helps. Richard

--------------B04DC797A15BD0033A8A03D7 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Hi Rick,
I wouldn't mind to have a look at the parameters of the screw conveyor flighting you are trying to draw and see if I could draw it in 3D. I have some experience in modeling of ACME threads and I think I could apply the same principles for your requirements.
Reagards,
Igor.
Rick Crawford wrote:

--------------B04DC797A15BD0033A8A03D7 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------B04DC797A15BD0033A8A03D7--
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:48:28 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@fel.u-net.com.invalid wrote:

That's "roller coasters" of course.
John B
johnbogie btinternet.com Put the "at" in the gap.
Igor -
For example, a 9" Screw conveyor flight might have a 2inch pipe throught the middle, (2.375 O.D.) and have a 9inch O.D. The cross sectional area would be approximately .4375 at the base (by the 2 inch pipe) and .3125 at the outer edge. One turn of the flighting would be 9 inch or in other words the pitch is the same as the outside diameter of the flighting. Yes, I believe that if you could draw a true screw thread, that this would require a similar process to draw. I would be interested in learning how you draw the ACME threads.
Rick Crawford

I work with AutoCAD because that is what the company I work for has, not because of any other reason. That said, however, if you know of a better program to so something like this, please tell us instead of just saying we are wrong, and not telling us the right way to go. I am not afraid of being told where to go, I have been told repeatedly.
I may even be able to talk them into changing to another software IF it is not expensive. It must, however be compatible with AutoCAD since we have customers that send us stuff, and all seem to use that.
Rick Crawford

SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Inventor, Pro Engineer, Alibre Design, Turbocad, Cadkey. Shall I go on? Example: Using Turbocad Pro, I drew a screw according to the discription below. Total time was less than ten minutes and I was not in a hurry. Autocad works well within it's limits but if you do things like you have been discussing very often, you would be better off looking around at what else is out there. There are far too many people out there that have a blind allegence to Autocad simpy becase they don't know better. It may be the best CAD package for you. Then again, it may not. I have seen many companies that use it simply because it's a big name and not realize that another CAD package would suit there needs better.

conveyor
of
and
but
could
not
need to

--------------077E4536A6185513DBE683BA Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Just ignore him, that's all. Your drawing of a screw conveyor is ready for collection. Please let me know where do you want me to send it. The file size is 530 Kb (in zipped format). It took me around 35 minutes to model it. That's because it has been a while since I modeled screws in 3D. Getting rustier with this staff, you know <g>.
Regards,
Igor.
Rick Crawford wrote:

--------------077E4536A6185513DBE683BA Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------077E4536A6185513DBE683BA--
--------------4F4E4D10CEC5B2935E5AF650 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Hi Rick,
I have sent you a file. Look forward to your comments.
Regards,
Igor.
--------------4F4E4D10CEC5B2935E5AF650 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------4F4E4D10CEC5B2935E5AF650--
Yes, be a good little Autodroid. Ignore progress. It is a lot easier to live in the past.

collection. Please

zipped format). It took

I modeled screws in