3d arc

How is an arc created in 3d? I ahve tried and tried, to no avail to find a way to do this. I also tried to find help in the help file, but cannot seem to find the right words to search on. Can anyone help me?

Rick Crawford

Reply to
Rick Crawford

TomD

You are correct. I am trying to draw screw conveyor flighting, and can't seem to get there from here. I also don't really know what a spline really is. A 3dpolyline is not allowing me to do anything but straight line segments. In the past, I have seen splines on 2d drawings, and they slways seemed to be unwieldy, in that they could not be exploded, and if anything changed them at all, they might not really show the correct arc. Maybe that is what I need, but I need to learn more before I use that.

Thanks, Rick Crawford

Reply to
Rick Crawford

Rick

I mananged a sort of 3d arc although it was a bit fiddly and is not as smooth as I would like it but it would be an ok method for drawing a bridge.

Try it and see it you can improve it to suit your needs:

Kept it in World UCS. I drew a construction line on a layer, so I had a start and end. Changed the thickness to 20. Drew a Start End Direction arc (For some odd reason it would not let me draw a Start End Radius) between the two ends of the construction line.

That gave me a thin flat arc with a thickness of 20 units in the Z direction.

I then copied this arc straight down 10 units using @10 You are correct. I am trying to draw screw conveyor flighting, and

Reply to
Richard Hawley

Hi Rick,

I wouldn't mind to have a look at the parameters of the screw conveyor flighting you are trying to draw and see if I could draw it in 3D. I have some experience in modeling of ACME threads and I think I could apply the same principles for your requirements.

Reagards,

Igor.

Rick Crawford wrote:

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

That's "roller coasters" of course.

John B

johnbogie btinternet.com Put the "at" in the gap.

Reply to
john

Igor -

For example, a 9" Screw conveyor flight might have a 2inch pipe throught the middle, (2.375 O.D.) and have a 9inch O.D. The cross sectional area would be approximately .4375 at the base (by the 2 inch pipe) and .3125 at the outer edge. One turn of the flighting would be

9 inch or in other words the pitch is the same as the outside diameter of the flighting. Yes, I believe that if you could draw a true screw thread, that this would require a similar process to draw. I would be interested in learning how you draw the ACME threads.

Rick Crawford

flighting you are trying to draw

threads and I think I could

Reply to
Rick Crawford

I work with AutoCAD because that is what the company I work for has, not because of any other reason. That said, however, if you know of a better program to so something like this, please tell us instead of just saying we are wrong, and not telling us the right way to go. I am not afraid of being told where to go, I have been told repeatedly.

I may even be able to talk them into changing to another software IF it is not expensive. It must, however be compatible with AutoCAD since we have customers that send us stuff, and all seem to use that.

Rick Crawford

Reply to
Rick Crawford

Just ignore him, that's all. Your drawing of a screw conveyor is ready for collection. Please let me know where do you want me to send it. The file size is 530 Kb (in zipped format). It took me around 35 minutes to model it. That's because it has been a while since I modeled screws in

3D. Getting rustier with this staff, you know .

Regards,

Igor.

Rick Crawford wrote:

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

Hi Rick,

I have sent you a file. Look forward to your comments.

Regards,

Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko