3d model sections?

if I have a 3d model of an industrial building & would like to break apart column lines into sections, cant I do that with dview or xclip or something?
I thought you could make slices of the model & save them as views or something.. I used to do it somehow & can't remember the trick...
thanks LS
SECTION, then select the objects u wish to take slices from, then select the plane using 3 point coords.
if u create a new layer and set as current before using section command, the slices will be created in that layer allowing u to isolate an do what u want with them.