dtext in ACAD 06

I am trying to use dtext to label a several items in a drawing. In ACAD 04, and previous releases, once you were done typing your label,
you could move the crosshairs somewhere else, pick that point, and ACAD would let you start typing at that point. For some reason the version of 06 that I am working with does not let you do that. When you try to click the next text location, it ends the dtext command. Is there a system variable that needs to be reset in order to make this work? Thanks.
Look up the DTEXTED variable.
Pete