DXF is in wrong coordinates

I have DXF's which have the wrong coordinates in them. If I move the drawing to match the correct coordinates, the other corner is way out of
whack. It's almost like the scale is wrong. Where it should be maybe a 1,000 metres across it might appear as 7,289 meters across and not consistent between the X and Y axes. How do I fix this. Using AutoCAD 2002.
Try MOVE ALL so that one point is correct, then ROTATE ALL so one bearing from that point is correct, finally SCALE ALL about that point so the distance along the bearing is correct. If you're lucky everything is now aligned...

Huw wrote:

....If not, the creator has some 'splaining to do.

It *might* be that map projections are involved here.
Huw wrote:

True, very true. If so, no amount of stretchin' and scalin' will get it to match.
Quite. The original post suggested to me that projections might be involved but as they are using vanilla Acad, not Map, move-rotate-scale is the only thing they can try.