FIELDS?

Ok I heard about fields a bit ago. So I went to insert a date field into my drawing. In reading about fields it appears the date field is the
only one that does not update automatically? This doesnt seem right. Am I missing something? This does not make sense to me. All I want to do is have a date that automatically displays the current date when I open the drawing.
help please
thanks