Filleting solids

How do you figure out how to build solid models so that they can be filleted easily? I had to partially fillet some of the pieces before assembly to get
it to work.
Bob

Not sure I understand. Well actually, I don't. Can you elaborate?

When filleting solid objects some things must be partially filleted before joining the pieces. You can not fillet objects when one of the faces is too short. I have been trying to figure out how to get around the limitations.
Bob

Can you oversize the 'face' in question, fillet it, then slice it down to the correct size. This is what I do when modelling fiddly staircase handrails.

I have done that but the profile does change a little. Next week I get my student version of inventor 2008. That might work better.
Bob