Layer aliases

Does AutoCAD 2008 allow a user to assign aliases to layer names? I can't see anything in the help files so presumably it doesn't - but
maybe I'm just looking for the wrong thing. If it doesn;t exist I think this would be a great feature.

Why not just name them what you want them to be?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

Ah, the life of the sole practitioner is a happy one. Unfortunately, there's a whole department here dedicated to the single-minded pursuit of other people's misery through the ruthless imposition of so-called 'standards'. Even asking them why is enough to score a black mark against your name. Nice health care plan, though.

It has its moments for sure, but there is the big sack of worry too.

I guess it was a silly question. Forgive me.
From the command line you can define lisp variables that will only persist as long as the drawing session. I.E., :
(setq a "1-above")
will save "1-above" in the variable "a".
Typing "!a" at any prompt will relay "1-above" to the command in progress, so you could use the command line version of the layer command like this:
layer>>s>>!a
to set the current layer to "1-above".
If you want to do this over and over, a simple lisp routine that does a big list of alias definitions would allow you to do the above in many drawing sessions, presuming that the naming conventions are fairly rigorous....which it sounds like they might be ; )
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
strawberry wrote:

Thanks Bill, I'll take a closer look at that.