LCD monitors - what do you think?

I have been playing with the idea of purchasing a LCD monitor. But, the ones I have seen in operation seem to have a noticeable flicker as the crosshairs move across the screen.

Do any of you use a LCD monitor and what is your experience?

Thanks

Reply to
George B

I have asked the same question to myself. I have been thinking of getting a LCD monitor. I have a 19" CRT that has been acting up. I do not want to go over 19" on a LCD as of right now.

I have been looking at the 19" Samsung 191T+. What I mainly use my computer for is Autocad ADT, some MS Office Programs and very little Photoshop. Nothing graphic intensive.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Davis Jr

I recently switched from a 21" Sony CRT to a 19" Hyundai LCD. Hyundai was on sale at Fry's the day I went looking. The first LCD I got delaminated, but the second has had no problems except one dead pixel, which fortunately isn't in a place that matters.

I like the LCD much better. No glare issues, and no flicker on the crosshairs. If I move the cursor quickly I see multiple images, but that's no different from on the CRT except the LCD runs at 60 frames per second rather than 85.

If you go for an LCD be sure the store has a reasonable policy on returns. Many stores require 8 or more dead pixels for exchange.

Three notes on settings: Set the color depth to 16 bit, not 24 or 32. Most LCD monitors only do 16 bit. Set the refresh to 60Hz. With CRT I can see a flicker at 60HZ, but not on LCD. Set the resolution to the default resolution of the LCD. Mine is at 1280 X 1024. I like the slightly larger icons at 1152 X 864 better, but the display isn't nearly as sharp in that mode.

Martin

George B wrote:

Reply to
Martin Shoemaker

Thanks folks. Looks like LCD monitors may not yet be ready for Autocad.

Reply to
George B

We are now testrunning a couple of Eizo 767 LCD monitors (19") over here, running autocad 2002. I get only positive reactions like: no glare steady image bright colors no tired eyes etc.

If you want to hit a dog there is always a stick around. Or, if you want to find something to disapprove on an LCD you will find it but the same goes for an CRT monitor. You mention flicker of crosshairs. When do you see it, when you draw or when you are moving fast across the screen towards an button er menu? In the first case, try setting the crosshair to small, not full screen (i've seen CRT's with crosshairs fullscreen, they also flicker). In the second case, you already look at the button you like to hit, you don't watch you crosshairs moving toward it. Be objective.

Just my 5 cts.

Jan

"George B" schreef in bericht news:pxLfc.18938$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
JP

running 2 samsung 191t monitors with no probs

Reply to
someone

I am not looking for dispproval. In my area most seem to be a little disappointed in LCD's. I want one but looking for those with positive experience.

Reply to
George B

Thanks for some setting ideas Martin. I want to make the switch too. Your insight may be helpful

Brian

Reply to
Brian Spillane

"Bill Davis Jr" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I normally use 21" Nokia 445Xi (oldie, I know, but still the ye old goodie) with 1600x1200 @ 32-bit colors. My new Compaq nw8300 mobile workstation has a 15" TFT screen with 1600x1200 @ 32-bit colors resolution, too. It looks even overly crisp compared to analog devices, but both have their advantages (the older one makes jagged slant lines looking better by antialiasing them with the built-in fuzzines.

Reply to
Caveman

JP mentioned probably the biggest reason for going to LCD No Glare Longer activity without tired eyes.

If you are an active designer (long days), that is paramount.

Buy and try from a no hassles return policy retailer. (You do know there are such?) Then YOU make the decision. Use YOUR experience.

OR

If you want it, buy it. It's only money. There aint no magic bullets.

Reply to
Vernon O. J.

Be aware also of glare from the bezel. I just picked up a new LCD to replace a CRT that is failing fast. From what was on display, I picked a Sony 19". The display model was silver, but I thought black would be better. Wrong. It turned out to be glossy black, so you see the reflection of everything on your desk, the windows, the lights, everything behind you, etc., in the bezel. I didn't even think to check that in the store.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Shoemaker

Reply to
George B

Right now, I'm looking at my 19" LCD that replaced a 21" CRT. I run multiple AutoCAD's and absolutely love it. Over a year of heavy use, and not a single dead "anything" on the screen. It's a Sceptre that I bought from Sam's Club here in Austin.

Dollar for dollar, a 19" is the way to go. It will cost you $600-$800 depending on brand. Obviously, an extreme high-end LCD can go way over that. A 20", though, almost goes up exponentially in price, with a 24" hitting the stratosphere at $2100+.

Since I'm self-employed, so it's my own money I'm spending, I did as much recon as possible even though my 21" was taking a dump. I also use this system for gaming, so the monitor has had plenty of chances to show some flaws.

There is also the obvious space savings from an LCD, and spend a few extra dollars to get one with USB ports built into it. Mine also has speakers.

Hope that helps.

-Donald in Austin

Reply to
Unit335

Glad to hear that 19 lcd seems to be working for you!

Im currently using a 21" Dell TUBE monitor...and wanting to go to LCD as well. But like you Im concerned if 19" in an LCD will be OK since Im used to 21" tube.

So you are saying that you have no regrets going to a 19" LCD vs a 21" LCD?

I agree that a 21" LCD price starts getting HIGH! Hence the desire to go 19" LCD....

Reply to
me6

You shouldn't notice a difference in size. CRTs are measured using (essentially) the diagonal of the tube, but a couple of inches of the tube is covered by the bezel. The actual picture on the 21" Sony CRT I have here is 19.5" LCD is measured based on the actual picture size, so my 19" LCD has a full 19" display area.

Mart>>Right now, I'm looking at my 19" LCD that replaced a 21" CRT. I run multiple

Reply to
Martin Shoemaker

For sure. Monitors of any style should be flat black (except for the screen)

Reply to
Vernon O. J.