"Objects not in current space"

I'm working on a file someone else started (which is supposed to be 2d), and basically what I'm doing is clearing up some unnecessary layers.
Unfortunately, I keep getting this problem while trying to delete some items, on some layers. Is there a way to delete them?
Thanks...
Dave
Express > Layer translator... load the same file to obtain a "map to" layer list and translate them to layer 0. I've found this to be the simplest method. You might SuperPurge from www.Manusoft.com.

and

are your objects in paper space perhaps?
roy