raster to vector

We called it bumwad or flimsy

Reply to
JD

Me too.

lol... sounds like you're on top of it.

Reply to
Jude Alexander

Either that or a dull yellow crayon on a crumpled up brown lunch bag. Seriously, wintopo works but like many (not all) freeware programs involving raster to vector and raster to character... you get what you didn't pay for. Most leave you searching for something better.

Reply to
tomcas

"jojo"

Absolutely! Inkscape:

XTreme (free for linux) might also be able to do it as might other open source vector programs.

Reply to
Warm Worm

I'm trying to instal it in Win98SE. I see that it can be done, but can't find out how it is actually achieved.

Seems to be a file 'Install' missing from my download.

Brian.

Brian Salt. Remove everything before @ and replace with briansalt before email reply.

Reply to
no-spam-for-hkjffekafphdkdoemehepegkppboihac

Your going to spend as much time scanning and massaging and redrawing, as you would jsut drawing it right away. Might be better to just do raster to raster and get him either a Tablet PC or a tablet for his existing PC. It has a bit of a learning curve but it will look more like a sketch than any vector drawing. Sketchup is a great design tool. Often I input an autocad drawing in there and change the roof or add something to see how it would look. Its not hard to learn, and you could import a 2d raster that you can trace, or even use a 2d raster as a texture for a 3d polygon in sketchup.

I don't understand how you could keep something looking "sketchy" using vector drawing. Keep it raster and even just using the erase tool in photoshop and print it out for more hand sketching would be faster.

Reply to
Edgar

The best software I have found for this is Scan2CAD,

may be slightly overkill for this application, but it gives the best results of any of these conversion programs. Be aware though, that successful high quality conversion requires some tweaking.

/Steve in Denmark

Reply to
Steve Borland

Sorry, forgot to mention that they do a 14 day fully working trial, after which it still works as a raster editor. Which is perhaps just what your boss wants?

/Steve in Denmark

Reply to
Steve Borland

"jojo"

Has anyone mentioned Google?

Reply to
Warm Worm

We call the roll tracing paper "talking paper". I even use that term with my family and my boys know Mom needs paper and pencil. My dad was a draftsman 60 years ago and he uses that term as well. Maybe the terms are regional.

Jude Alexander wrote:

Reply to
Janice G

Does he know why it was called that?

Reply to
Jude Alexander

When discussing a project, you sketch as you explain "talk" to let others visually see what you are thinking. Thus "talking paper".

Reply to
Janice G

Interesting, and thanks.

Reply to