raster to vector

almost forgot.... heard it called "overlay" also.

Me too.

lol... sounds like you're on top of it.

We call the roll tracing paper "talking paper". I even use that term with my family and my boys know Mom needs paper and pencil. My dad was a draftsman 60 years ago and he uses that term as well. Maybe the terms are regional.
Jude Alexander wrote:

Jude Alexander wrote:

Interesting, and thanks.

We called it bumwad or flimsy
"jojo"

Absolutely! Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org / Autotrace: http://autotrace.sourceforge.net / Xara XTreme (free for linux) might also be able to do it as might other open source vector programs.

I'm trying to instal it in Win98SE. I see that it can be done, but can't find out how it is actually achieved.
Seems to be a file 'Install' missing from my download.
Brian.
Brian Salt. Remove everything before @ and replace with briansalt before email reply.
Your going to spend as much time scanning and massaging and redrawing, as you would jsut drawing it right away. Might be better to just do raster to raster and get him either a Tablet PC or a tablet for his existing PC. It has a bit of a learning curve but it will look more like a sketch than any vector drawing. Sketchup is a great design tool. Often I input an autocad drawing in there and change the roof or add something to see how it would look. Its not hard to learn, and you could import a 2d raster that you can trace, or even use a 2d raster as a texture for a 3d polygon in sketchup.
I don't understand how you could keep something looking "sketchy" using vector drawing. Keep it raster and even just using the erase tool in photoshop and print it out for more hand sketching would be faster.
--
Edgar
"jojo" <cgv_2000@*remove your hat*yahoo.com> wrote in message
jojo wrote:

The best software I have found for this is Scan2CAD, (http://www.softcover.com /) It may be slightly overkill for this application, but it gives the best results of any of these conversion programs. Be aware though, that successful high quality conversion requires some tweaking.
/Steve in Denmark

Sorry, forgot to mention that they do a 14 day fully working trial, after which it still works as a raster editor. Which is perhaps just what your boss wants?
/Steve in Denmark
"jojo"

Has anyone mentioned Google?