jojo wrote:

you might try Corel Draw or Turbocad Pro.
AECVizPRO does specialize in this type of file conversion. We would be glad to do the initial file for you to see if our service meets your needs.
Visit us on-line at www.aecvizpro.com
jojo wrote:

Photoshop/Illustrator will do the trick. If we're talking about bringing something out of a cad software to a raster software the easiest thing is to plot with a Postscript driver and create an EPS file. You can open it with Photoshop (or Illustrator to do some clean-up), and you can still use any pen tables you have in said CAD software.

I'm going the other way. .tiff file to dxf

www.wintopo.com used to have a decent free one. it would do ok, you have to scale it & fix some lines if you are looking for laser or plasma type quality dxf
In a previous post longshot wrote...

If you really must do this the my recommendation too: Wintopo.
In the cadd program I'm using there is a routine to import BMP. JPG and TIF files. I usually do that then just trace over it. Much faster than trying to fix a raster to vector file.
--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
jojo wrote:

Oops. I must get a handle on my dyslexia. I'll do some digging around because someone in my office used something recently that worked quite well.

A sketch like the one you describe only takes a few minutes to draw in Acad (All the details are already in your library????) Raster to vector software is rather seldom a "nice" experience.......
Regards,
ola henning

This is true, but my boss does not want the "cold,sterile look of a precise autocad drawing" at this stage. He wants a hand drawn sketch that is easy to modify. He also will not design in autocad. must use pencil and paper jojo

aren't you the drafter here?

no
also, this this is a tool he wants long before this goes to the "drafter"

Maybe a 8B pensil, a poorly lit bar and a cocktail napkin will do the trick (and 5 GT's)???
OHD wrote:

Either that or a dull yellow crayon on a crumpled up brown lunch bag. Seriously, wintopo works but like many (not all) freeware programs involving raster to vector and raster to character... you get what you didn't pay for. Most leave you searching for something better.
jojo wrote:

Onion Skin, aka Trace, Bumwad, etc.... Works for most people...
3D Peruna wrote:

Onion skin, trace, bumwad? Where do these words come from??

the Mexicans

architectural firms.... aka, trash paper, butter paper, ect.
jojo
RicodJour wrote:

Hell if I know... First office I worked in, the guy called it 'trace." Second office, it was "bumwad". Another office, it was "onion skin." I didn't make it up...
http://www.dataprint.com/shopping/item_details/?item_code351499
If you wanna buy some...

I've always heard tracing paper or onion sheet. Never heard of bumwad which sounds like an insult...