raster to vector

Hi all, Does anyone use raster to vector software. I'm looking for something cheap, easy, affordable, and not too expensive. Guess you get my drift.

Seriously. Many times my boss does a nice little hand sketch of a floor plan, only to be asked to "add a couple of feet', or "just reverse the garage", generating all new sketches. I'd like to be able to scan these images, then do minor mods in cad, and send them back out. Any help for me?

Thanks, jojo

Reply to
jojo

I think SketchUp would get you further faster. I don't know what limitations the Google freeware version has. The full blown version is about five hundred so that doesn't fit into the "not too expensive" part. If your boss could play around with it he might be willing to use it in the field on a tablet PC. It would certainly send a "we're on top of technology" message and justify an increase in your fees.

RicodJour

you might try Corel Draw or Turbocad Pro.

AECVizPRO does specialize in this type of file conversion. We would be glad to do the initial file for you to see if our service meets your needs.

Visit us on-line at

D. Alan Hooper

Photoshop/Illustrator will do the trick. If we're talking about bringing something out of a cad software to a raster software the easiest thing is to plot with a Postscript driver and create an EPS file. You can open it with Photoshop (or Illustrator to do some clean-up), and you can still use any pen tables you have in said CAD software.

Reply to
Cato

I'm going the other way. .tiff file to dxf

Reply to
jojo

used to have a decent free one. it would do ok, you have to scale it & fix some lines if you are looking for laser or plasma type quality dxf

Reply to
longshot

If you really must do this the my recommendation too: Wintopo.

In the cadd program I'm using there is a routine to import BMP. JPG and TIF files. I usually do that then just trace over it. Much faster than trying to fix a raster to vector file.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Oops. I must get a handle on my dyslexia. I'll do some digging around because someone in my office used something recently that worked quite well.

Reply to
Cato

A sketch like the one you describe only takes a few minutes to draw in Acad (All the details are already in your library????) Raster to vector software is rather seldom a "nice" experience.......

Regards,

ola henning

Reply to
OHD

This is true, but my boss does not want the "cold,sterile look of a precise autocad drawing" at this stage. He wants a hand drawn sketch that is easy to modify. He also will not design in autocad. must use pencil and paper jojo

Reply to
jojo

aren't you the drafter here?

Reply to
longshot

Maybe a 8B pensil, a poorly lit bar and a cocktail napkin will do the trick (and 5 GT's)???

Reply to
OHD

no

also, this this is a tool he wants long before this goes to the "drafter"

Reply to
jojo

Onion Skin, aka Trace, Bumwad, etc.... Works for most people...

Reply to
3D Peruna

Onion skin, trace, bumwad? Where do these words come from??

RicodJour

the Mexicans

Reply to
longshot

architectural firms.... aka, trash paper, butter paper, ect.

jojo

Reply to
jojo

Hell if I know... First office I worked in, the guy called it 'trace." Second office, it was "bumwad". Another office, it was "onion skin." I didn't make it up...

If you wanna buy some...

Reply to
3D Peruna

I've always heard tracing paper or onion sheet. Never heard of bumwad which sounds like an insult...

Reply to
Jude Alexander

almost forgot.... heard it called "overlay" also.

Reply to
Jude Alexander