Assembly to Illustrator eps vector format.

Here is a question for you Publishing experts out there. Recently was asked to come up with a couple cut-away rendered models for brochures of a few rooftop HVAC airscrubbers Ive been building. Converted a couple good size assemblies to SW-2004 and used the groovy new texture feature to produce a couple very nice rendered iso's without photoworks. (I'll email pdf's if interested) My meager dell-ws P4 1.7 quadro 2 mmx 256 was pushed to its limits, as it was increasingly difficult to add more color,texture and lighting, but worked well considering.

Our two literature folks requested two different types of formats. One uses Adobe Illustrator 7 and wanted eps or pdf formats in which surfaces could be selected and the background transparent. The other uses Corel 8 and wanted hpgl prn files.

I used Distiller, set at its oldest conversion settings, to produce both. When saving to file with distiller I get two options, save as prn and all files which I added the .eps extention to and seemed to work, generating

1.5mb files.

The one using Corel had no problem with the prn's. Imported nicely and did't want to selected surfaces, colored model as is just trimming background for poster. The Illustrator couldn't open the .eps and the .pdf was raster. Tried version 10 but resulted in a sliced model. Tried other virtual printers, but wouldn't produce populated eps files.

The only solution to provide a vector format was to create a dxf, which came in as line art, losing all its surfaces. She then had to apply surfaces and colors to it in Illustrator.

My questions are; Since our literature people compete more than cross communicate I wondered if corel or photoworks would do better at generating a eps file that would be editable ?

Secondly are eps files inherently vector format?

Are there any good ways to get a model from solidworks to other editable formats used in publishing?

What is the prefered software to produce literature from solidworks? how about 3d studiomax?

thanks, bobd

Reply to
Bob Draper

Bob,

When I have sent pictures to publishers for use in brochures I have been generally been asked for them as high resolution Tiff files.

Merry :-)

Reply to
Merry Owen

Well, I would recommend SVG format for any publishing nowadays...escpecially if the move to XML and single-source publishing is going to happen anytime soon for your company.

Now - how to go about getting SVG from Solidworks I am not quite sure. I haven't looked into this yet, myself. I think Dynabits was playing with XML and SVG stuff from Solidworks.

Definitely worth checking out.

Markus.

Reply to
Markus Wankus

I've done the same. Also supplied JPEGS for use in the web flash opening sequence & the catalogs. They worked fine. Not sure about editing them though, not my expertise. Rudy

Reply to
Rudy Kube

EPS files are generaly vector files, however you can save a bitmap image as an EPS.

I have found the best way to make an editable 2d graphic from solidworks is to save as a dxf and bring into Corel and from there save it as an eps. Then you can also bring it into Illustrator. I don't know of a way to keep the surface fills but it's very easy to make new fills with a line drawing.

Reply to
Devin Hughey

Thanks All, for your input

Dxf and quality Tiff will have to do. Dxf from Acad works to produce eps. I'll try exporting eps from corel also. Have to look into the SVG format

bobd

Reply to
Bob Draper