EPS to DWG aftermath

I converted an EPS to a DWG (and a DXF) in Illustrator.
AutoCAD 06 is now have huge problems using this file, and it isn't all
that complex a file, the file is about 81k in size.
AutoCAD 06 stalls any time I try to do anything to the file.
I am assuming that there is some extra data attached to the lines by Illustrator,
Is there anything I can do to make this file workable? Is there a better way to convert EPS to DWG?
Any help would be appreciated.
Mathew

OK,
I solved that problem by purging and exploding until there wasn't anything left to explode.
Next problem is that even straight lines have been turned into a million smaller lines, not to mention any curved lines...
Is there any solution for this?
Mathew

Convert to PLINE and Join? (select all segments you want to be a single entity, invoke PEDIT and choose Multiple then Join...or invoke MPEDIT, select segments, convert, then Join - works for multiple desired entities in one shot, just be careful if the entities you want as a result overlap at a current line end...it will retain a pline grip at every current line segment intersection. If you want to clean that up, you could try OVERKILL)

One more thing...if AutoCAD seems to have difficulties with the file still, you could try running Audit (have to have the drawing open) and choose Yes to automatically correct errors then save. I find a lot of converted files have errors according to AutoCAD and the program is happier if you let it fix them.