Convert .sv$ to .dwg ????? (2023 Update)

Help! What to do? I've tried a bunch of stuff and can't get the sv$ file to convert/rename to dwg. Using autocad 2002 & xp pro. Thx Cliff K

Reply to
Cliff K

Hi Cliff

What happens when you rename the files??

Is the folder they are stored in a read only folder?

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Cliff, Drag the svs file onto your desk top. Right click and rename des ( or whatever you want)

Open command prompt (start/programs/accessories/ command prompt)

type the following cd desktop {enter} ren des des.dwg {enter}

The svs file will now change to a dwg file

Reply to
jo the cad

Saves some typing in the command prompt. You would have to keep changing directories to get to your temp save file. For handiness I created a file on my desktop and named it Acad Autosaves,which I then made my default autosave location. Personal choice really. HTH

Reply to
jo the cad

Do you have the file extensions showing in Windows Explorer when you are renaming them? If you don't see the .sv$ extension, then the extension will be preserved and you will actually end up with .dwg.sv$.

Reply to
Ian A. White

Hello Ian, No, I don't see the file extension in Windows Explorer. And yes, I'm getting .dwg.sv$. when trying to rename. What to do? Cliff

Reply to
Cliff K

Open any explorer window, (such as opening "my computer"), click tools in the top menu, click folder options, view, in the box remove check mark by "hide extensions for known file types" apply, apply to all folders.

So how did you know they were .sv$ files if you can't see the extensi>

Reply to
Jerry G

Because it is a "known file type" (to Windows), Windows has a descriptive name for it and this is shown in the next column.

Reply to
Ian A. White

Hey Jerry - Thx a million! That did it. Finally!

I assumed it was. In Windows Explorer, (View / Details) under the TYPE column, the description is: Autocad Autosave Drawing.

convert/rename

Reply to
Cliff K

A big thanks to ya too. Cliff K

Reply to
Cliff K

Right click on the file > Open with > Internet Explorer. This will ask you to open or save the file. Next to save, in the drop down click save as > select the folder location > name the file.dwg and save it. This converts the file to dwg.

Reply to
Vidhya

In BricsCad - Go RECOVER - navigate to your .SV$ file (which is in the Temp folder C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\Temp\) and Load the .SV$ file, it'll open at the last autosave.

Most of your work should be there anyway !! Good luck

Reply to
iOS J