zero with line through it

Is there a way to get a zero with a line through it using text function? I thought I remember it was one of those %% commands. Anyone know? When I say a zero with a line through it, I'm talking about an engineering zero to distinguish it from the letter O. A zero 0 with a line through it. Brian

Reply to
Brian White

Actually, if you think about it, it is kind of stupid to do this.

For many fonts and many sizes of print, a zero with a line through it looks far too much like an "8", and you'll spend the next 10 years wondering what that number is exactly.

Whereas, if you have the digit "0" in the middle of a number, you'll never confuse it with an "8", and if it is a "word" with an "O" in the middle, you will probably never read it as a zero.

I spend an inordinate amount of time in the fonts for my marine survey navigation software taking the darn stroke out of the zeros so I do not confuse the numbers I read off the screen.

"Engineering" zero? I thought it was a computer nerd's zero (look at an old card keypunch machine's keyboard), or maybe an American/Canadian thingee.

Happy Trails To You

Reply to
Happy Trails

Isn't %%c for a circle diameter dimensioning symbol and not for the number zero? I thought there was another one like %%c that was specifically for zero and not a dimensioning mark. Brian

Reply to
Brian White

Yes, it is the diameter symbol. I gave you that because that is the only one that can be done with the % method. There likely is a Unicode character that will fit your requirements or a special font though I don't know what it is as I have no need for it. I do use the zero with strike through when programming but the software I use for that is standard that way.

Reply to
CW

ALT+0216 Ø

Reply to
Bones

That depends on the font you are using. Doesn't work for me.

ALT+0216 Ø

Reply to
CW

Actually I think the 'slant zero' goes way back to telegraphers and international radio operators, especially those who copy cw cipher groups that have letters and numbers mixed. Very clear when copying the code but not after you write it down unless you use some standard.

Also, have you noted any amateur radio calls on license plates from region zero?

Dave WA0SPF ... that's Whiskey Alpha Zero Sierra Papa Fox (slant missing, OK I'm lazy)

Reply to
Dave Johnson

Ha - radio call signs - that's one of the very few types of information where, logically speaking, it could be a zero or it could be an oh. Another one is Canadian post codes - but those are always letter-number-letter-number-letter-number - easy (not) to spot a mistake in interpretation.

Happy Trails To You

Reply to
Happy Trails

Reply to
Brian White

any luck yet brian?

i think i found the symbol your talking about in the charachter map. you can find by using the MTEXT command in AutoCAD then in the character tab click on the symbol drop down menu and choose other.

the character map is displayed choose ARIAL as the font. it might take a while to find it but if you look for the comma (,) at the top of the list and scroll down nearly half way you should see it.

hope this helps

Reply to
Ricky

I have tried attaching a font file repeatedly, but for some reason it will not go to this NG. Anyone know why? Yes I know how to attach a file!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Spillane

It did attach, at least on my end. So many O/S, browsers, firewalls, etc. kick out attachments you never know who can and cannot receive same.

Reply to
S. Scalise

Strange, my post with the attachment never appeared on my screen. yet this did. hmmmmmm

Reply to
Brian Spillane