5160 ???

So I got a chance to check out a specialties metals dealer yesterday (All Metals in Oroville, Ca.). I was disappointed at the selection of available
material but hey, I didn't really expect much for this area. Checking out their catalog they do some "drill rod" O-1, W-1 and A-2 and I was able to get some copper and SS bar for fittings. Anyway, moving on, while looking through the catalog I noticed a mechanical properties sheet that listed 5160 as having 3 to 7 points of Ni ! Now this is the first time I've ever seen Ni associated with 5160. Can anybody verify if this is true? I checked a couple of other references and found no mention of it in them.
GA
Greyangel wrote:

http://www.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=M516AA
No Ni there -- I love matweb.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

There are so many composition mistakes out there it ain't funny! :/ Places like Admiral's catalog for instance. Those doing the writing aren't the same doing the "compositon knowing". :)
If they had modified their order of 5160 to include .3-.7%Ni they wouldn't be calling it 5160 unless they're dumber than we thought.
The former is just a mistake the latter would be crazy. :)
3460 would have 3.0%Ni added to 5160 and no Mo added to go with it. My Metals Handbook sez "last listed by AISI/SAE... 1936" That's a Cr-Ni steel. Kinda weird stuff nowdays. Cr-Mo-Ni is the new way to do it. Like 8660 or 4370(L6).
Get them to clarify whether it's 0.3-0.7%Ni or 3.0-7.0%Ni.
Also clarify that Ni's been added and no Mo too, or how much Mo.
Crap if they've added a little Ni and and a little Mo it's better than 5160 and they should friggin say what it -really- is. ;)
My guess... the salesman's full of crap... won't be the first time for that huh? ;)
Alvin in AZ

0.3-0.7 is what the catalog says.

Gonna make me work at this.. Carbon .56/.64; Manganese .75/1.0; sulfer .40; Phosphorus .035; Cr .35/.65; Mo .15/.25; Other (Ni) .35/.75 Directly out of the catalog.

They don't make it - just sell it. I'm betting on the "full of crap" verdict.
GA

Sulfer .40%? That's even high for re-sulfered steel. ;) Also where's the Si? ;)
Si and Cu act like Ni and strengthen the ferrite itself but a little goes a log way since they'll get in the way of the iron carbon phases.

Something's screwy for sure (and assuming Si instead of Sulfer) that stuff is 8660 not 5160.
Not knowing a dammed thing about forging let alone forge welding and only going on strength tables (and crap like that) 8660 sould be a little bit better than 5160. If it really was 8660 they'd make a point to say so money-wise?
Alvin in AZ
Greyangel wrote:
<snip> .. while looking through the catalog I noticed a

<snip>
That's either a typo, or a proprietary steel for an oddish application, IMHO. I'd like to hear other opinions/knowledge.
By the way...Railroad ...Pandrol clips ...a Hi-Tech 5160 steel. Bit of a pain to straighten out, though.
~D

Ni !

Got some of that (I think?). Made my first forged blade from it. No problem straightening it once I got the hang of it. A buddy of mine is working on a hatchet from the same material.
http://home.comcast.net/~greyangel1/AngelStation/bladepics/skinner.jpg
Gave that one away a while ago. Looking at it now I'da gave it a longer edge bevel if I did it over. I decided a while back that done is done though. Do it better the next time. More fun that way.
GA

If you're looking at drill rod, check Enco, McMaster and MSC. All of the above types, plus many others. Just a customer, and/or would-be customer (Enco's been suggested as having a better shipping policy than MSC, but their web site keeps having errors for me). McMaster's site makes up for their reluctance to give gatalogs to small-timers. MSC's catalog might have application as a building block after it's outdated.
http://www.use-enco.com/
http://www.mcmaster.com/
http://www.mscdirect.com/

(All
available
out
Not especially. Just checking these folks out 'cause I was hoping for a local supplier. Pacific Steel did right by me for 5160 and I think the next steel I'm going to play with will be 52100. The local guys will suffice for copper, brass and Stainless (fittings).

McMasters was where I got my EDM stones. No complaints. I'll check out the others, Thanks!
GA