A fairly basic pattern-welding question

Cool! At least I didn't have to jump your butt over that one. ;)

Found it right off... used Martin's posted-link and hit the "welding compounds & babbit" button.

There are ways to deal with that sort of crap. :) I call my method "passive-aggresive".
Anybody else here ever see the short-film called "The Passive Aggresive Gunslinger"? The "bad" bad guy ended up shooting himself due to massive amounts of frustration caused by the P-A "gunslinger". :)
Alvin in AZ ps- cool thread, P! :)
Here is one idea - I don't use it not in my bag of need/tricks.
http://www.centaurforge.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SF
Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Trevor Jones wrote:

There may be something to that- not just in the flux itself, but also in the reflective heat from the melted flux on the fire brick. I used a lot of the stuff, and ended up with a layer of molten flux on the firebrick that was brighter colorwise than the brick itself ever got.

It does indeed foam up, I can't argue with that- but if it's applied hot, it seems to stick pretty well. Of course, I am saying that without having anhydrous borax to compare it to. I've got the 20 Mule team stuff simply because it was at the grocery store, and I may as well use it up before I special order the better product. If I had to have a complaint regarding the laundry borax, it'd be that it's really sticky, nasty stuff when it's melted- but that may be true of any flux, for all I know about it.

I did get a pretty good idea that I had stumbled onto more or less the right mix after reading the pattern-welded blade book as suggested. It really hasn't been a painful process, I'm just a meticulous collector of information after having done plenty of things the wrong way the first time, and then discovering that asking one or two more questions might have saved me a lot of time and effort!

I may take you up on that just for the fun of it, as I recently made a blade for a guy I work with for his father's Christmas present, in exchange for his solemn vow to help me get a coal forge scrounged up and welded together, and another look at a coal fire in action might get me fired up about getting it done before he forgets! I still like the gas forge fine, but I'm discovering that if I want to do any big ornimental work (and I do) the ability to shape the fire is a big plus that I'm missing out on.
BTW- have you had a chance to get any of those cams tested out? I've still got the prints if you need some more, and we'll be getting some new optics for the laser soon, which will make the whole deal a lot easier.
Last time I was in the soap department there was 20 Mule team Borax Laundry soap and 20 Mule team Borax scrubbing compound. The scrubbing I think is more Borax. It might be in a different section or down the isle from the other.