A fairly basic pattern-welding question

(snip)

Well, if you want to ping my e-mail with a mailing address, I'll mail you about a cup of the straight sodium borate pentahydrate that I have (though it might be decahydrate by the time it gets to you).

(snip)

Sounds like you are doing fine then. (Yeah 100# tanks are a lot nicer to use.)

(snip)

Mixing it at about 3 parts water to 1 part ferric chloride seems to give a lot of people a fast and fairly clean etch.

Good luck. (now I just need to get my power hammer finished...)

Reply to
Todd Rich

If you ever get a chance to stop by his shop, it is an experience. And yes, all the books by him a very good to have.

Hmm...that is weird. I've had the original in mine for about 8 years now. (However I really haven't used it for 6 years of that due to no place to really work) and it still hasn't eaten more than a 1/3rd of the way through. I've seen several types of kiln shelving, and this is the type that looks like amost like granite and feels very dense. The water in borax shouldn't have any effect, it gets burned off very quickly.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Todd Rich wrote: (snip)

Not awake yet this morning. Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate.

Reply to
Todd Rich

Cool! At least I didn't have to jump your butt over that one. ;)

Found it right off... used Martin's posted-link and hit the "welding compounds & babbit" button.

There are ways to deal with that sort of crap. :) I call my method "passive-aggresive".

Anybody else here ever see the short-film called "The Passive Aggresive Gunslinger"? The "bad" bad guy ended up shooting himself due to massive amounts of frustration caused by the P-A "gunslinger". :)

Alvin in AZ ps- cool thread, P! :)

Reply to
alvinj