Anchor Making in Shetland

At Easter this year a group of blacksmiths from the UK travelled up to Shetland to the forge of Bruce Wilcock to make an anchor using only traditional methods as taught to Bruce by his father in the 1960s.

We used 3" square billets of pure iron which were forged down and fire-welded to produce a 1/3 size anchor. The event was videod and is available on either DVD or Video at £12.50 including p&p in the UK.

The event was sponsored by pureiron.com who supplied the iron and £2 from the proceeds of the sale of each film goes to the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths Education and Training Sponsorship Fund.

If you would like a copy of the 45 minute film or want any further information please email me or visit

Barbara B