Best Rated threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

FRANK DEAN, the Rodmell blacksmith, died on Monday 27 7 04
I never knew Frank as well as I should have, I studied his evening classes at Plumptom College for only two terms. Even more than the considerable amount of information that he taught was the...

how to make a ball swage
I am a lot more of a machinist than a blacksmith. However, I sometimes beat on hot steel. I have borrowed a 25# LG hammer and I want to make some wall hooks with a ball on the end, out of 1/2" square...
16
16

RailRoad Spikes - What can I make?
I got some RailRoad Spikes from the junkyard. What can I make from them?
13
13

Garage door springs steel, what to do?
Hi all, I have a couple of garage door springs. They are about 5/16 round (I haven't actually measured, but that is what I recall). Being that this is spring steel I have been trying to think of uses...
7
7

Tools from cold chisels?
Does anyone know if cold chisels would make good steel for making woodworking tools from I want to make my own wood chisels and carving gouges Since cold chisels are meant for metal and stone they...
30
30

O-1 hardness and sharpening
Hey, I recently made a blade for a spokeshave out of O-1 steel. I hardened it and tempered to strawyellow (about 450 degrees) in a conventional oven. This blade is extremely tough to sharpen because...
3
3

How much fire clay to line rivet forge pan
I'm new to this and I've managed to obtain a rivet forge to ruin some perfectly good scrap steel with. How thick of a fire clay layer do I need to line the forge pan and how much of the tuyere should...
3
3

porpane burner at altitude
Hi again, I was just looking at a couple of propane ventless room heaters. I guess are the catalytic propane heaters, and they say not for use above 5,000 ft. Why? I'm at 6500ft near flagstaff. I'm...
13
13

Champion Forge Blower Motor Rheostat
The rheostat was messed up on a Champion Forge blower, so it had two speeds. Off and On. First day at school was not nice, with poor coal and no low speeds...pop corn from the fire all over the place....
15
15

Treadle hammers
Hello All I am planning on building a treadle hammer. I have go the clay Spencer plans and have had a good look at them as a starting point. I have built a small power hammer. got a 150mm diameter...
17
17

Foot powered forge blower?
I am looking for a picture or drawings for a foot powered forge blower. When in Prague in 1999 we saw one at a festival in the old town area, but I didn't get a picture of it. The blacksmith's forge...
9
9

Swan Portaforge?
I'm looking to add a gas forge and I've come across Swan Portaforges on the web and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these, particularly since they are considerably more expensive than...
6
6

Flypress question
Hi. Anyone have a flypress out there? I have been reading a bit on them, and they seem pretty interesting, but I am not sure exactly how one uses them. Does the press "bounce" back when it comes it a...
18
18

Peoria, Illinois Fall Blacksmithing Workshops
The Sun Foundation for the Arts and Sciences and the Illinois Valley Blacksmithing Association will hold their 16th annual fall Blacksmithing Workshops in Peoria, Illinois beginning September 9....
1
1

help-position of anvil to forge?
I am setting up a shop before having done any work. If I have a rectangular forge in front of me and I'm right handed, will I want the anvil to the right or left of the forge? Why? Where would you put...
10
10

Anyang power hammers
Hi, Has anyone in the group personal experiance of the Anyang Power Hammers, and if so which model and comments would be appreciated. Anyone in the UK got one set up and seeable? AWEM
2
2

Questions about anatomy of the anvil
What is the table of the anvil traditionally used for?.. And, why is the heel on an italian style anvil designed the way it is. That is, what is traditional purpose of this V shaped heel? And, is the...
1
1

tempering tongs and the like
My first projects will be to make some tongs. I am wondering how one handles the tempering part of doing this. I imagine it is very easy to crystalize the project if one doesn't know what they are do,...
5
5

Help identifying anvil
Hi All, I just came into an anvil with the following markings: TRADEMARK U.S. SOLID WROUGHT WARRANTY 151 The "U.S." and the "151" are twice the height of the other stampings. It's a London pattern...
8
8

W1 vs 1095?
While looking in Machinery?s Handbook for the ?difference? between W1 and 1095 steels, I realized that the ?Letter Symbol? AISI/SAE classification system for tool steels didn?t appear until its...
1
1