Best Rated threads in ⚒ Blacksmithing - wrought iron and steel discussionsshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cameron Stoker's Grasshopper Treadle Hammer
Cameron Stoker, of Santa Fe, NM, has recently completed a Grasshopper Treadle Hammer, and has kindly provided photographs and commentary: "" As far as I know, this is the first Grasshopper completed...
6
6

Drilling a pritchel hole in a old anvil
Anyone ever try to drill a pritchel hole in an old anvil which doesn't have one? I'm looking for options for doing that. I've got an old 1820's Mouse Hole Forge anvil without a pritchel hole which I'm...
27
27

Where to find Eye Drifts for Axes
I went to a forge welding class and got the bug to make a new axe for knocking over trees. I'm looking for some leads to find sources of drifts for making the eye in a tree falling axe. Does anyone...
8
8

Keeping an anvil outside
I am considering keeping a small 140 lbs Peter Wright anvil outside. What would be a good way to prevent it from rusting? LPS-3 perhaps?
10
10

Attwood Anvils
Hello, Does anyone know anything about Attwood (UK) anvils? Good/Bad or otherwise? Cheers. JPS
1
1

1095, torsion and charpy
Ever since Alvin posted a link to a graph showing tempering temperature and its effects on hardness with curves for torsion and charpy results for 1095 I've been thinking. (anybody scared yet:) ) The...
3
3

hydraulic forging press?
Anyone know of any plans out there for building a hydraulic forging press? Could something like that have a fairly fast action or slower, more like a bearing press? I would really like to try a...
13
13

Steel in forklift forks/tines
Gday all, today I aquired the tines from a forklift. I'm assuming that this is a high quality steel. Anyone know what grade or type of steel this would be? I was thinking of using it for the plate on...
12
12

S7 vs H13
I have been using H13 steel for hot cut chisels but see a lot of punches for hot work made from S7. What is S7s intended use and what would induce me to use it rather than H13 ? brad
3
3

Looking for Propane Forge/Kit
I've been taking an introductory blacksmithing class, and am interested in purchasing a 2-3 burner propane forge (possibly a kit). Can anyone recommend websites/sources? Thanks, Phil
15
15

Galvanized hood for gas forge exhaust?
Hi. I am going to be installing my gas forge in my shop (walk out, unfinished basement), and I am planning on having an exhaust fan in a hood to suck out the exhaust/gases. I was wondering about using...
8
8

edge bending of flat bar
have any of you skilled blacksmiths out there had any experience with this pesky problem ? i'am talking about bending flat stock the hard way. have fun, mark
10
10

Tempering quench recipe
Caught a 'trailer' on a RFD channel horse show. It showed a blacksmith, (Dave Kramer) making a 'bow pin' out of 1/4" round stock. A bow pin is used to hold the bow on an oxen yoke up in place. More or...
18
18

So what about that 5160 versus L6?
All else aside, what -could- be the stronger sword steel? 5160 or L6 (4370)? Alvin in AZ
10
10

Aud
Hi my name is Jim, Just got a used Aud,Added an inverter and pendant, going to to run the pump strait off 240 with a cap across motor. 30 years since I did any turning lol. Slooo looking forward to...

Rebuilding Little Giant Power Hammers
I am writing this post because, even though us "old folks" already know this stuff, the new-er comers to the craft may not. I just noticed that the book "The Little Giant Power Hammer" by Richard Kern...

ABANA's "Hammers Blow" needs articles
I just heard that the editor of the ABANA publication the "Hammer's Blow" is in need of articles Right Now for the next edition. As I understand it, Brian Gilbert will be doing his last issue before...
1
1

What is a 200 lb anvil worth has ACME name on it?
What is a 200 lb anvil worth has ACME name on it? Good condition. Thinking about selling to buy another more transportable.
3
3

Making a 'C' clamp
If one wished to make a 12" 'C' Clamp by bending (say 2"x5/8" strap) in to a 'C', with a threaded cylinder welded to one end, how does one temper it. Bright Cherry red, and then bury it in a bucket of...
9
9

"Mechanical Forging Aids and Forge Welding" ---
The Badger Blacksmiths club met at my place (in western WI, USA) two weeks ago and I was the main demonstrator. This email's subject was the topic. I demonstrated the old style Gade-Marx Treadle...
4
4