Christmas projects

Actually, he's a Union industrial heating and air installer. Should be able to get max usage out of the blade hopefully. He's been laid off for several weeks now and proving to be not so good and handling unemployment. Hope he gets back to work soon...
GA

On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 22:56:22 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

yep, I did a special purpose knife for a friend of mine a few years back myself. He ran an auto salvage yard, before putting an auto body in his crusher he always pulled the engine, and had a special rack that he put them on with various catch barrels for the fluids,, one day when I was out there I noticed him sawing away on the radiator hoses, then the heater hoses with a very cheap serated kitchen knife,. it took him quite a while to get them all cut,, so being that he was into recycling, I recycled an old lathe spindle bearing outer race into a modified tanto, had it heat treated to 63 rockwell c and gave it to him,,, at first he thought it would never stand up as he had never had a fine edged knife hold an edge when cutting rubber hoses all day,, then he tried it,, and tried it some more,, then about 6 months later he laid it aside while he went to help a customer, when he got back the knife was gone,, when he told me about it walking off I don't think I've ever heard him so worked up,, that knife had just the right things in it's make up for that one job,, had he tried to open a can of paint with it, it most likely would have snapped in two,, or more,, but for slicing through auto hoses, (no, not the metal reinforced ones) it worked perfect., I had grabbed about 6 of those bearing races out of the scrap bin when the company did a major retune for accuracy in the lathe dept. so I made him another, the first thing he did after I gave it to him was to go to a leather worker and have a good rugged sheath made for it,, NO ONE else got to use it at all,, that one was 62 rockwell c,, and that one did reqire sharpening a little more often than the first one did. both where originally Fafnir tapered roller bearing outer races, about 6 inch OD about 1 1/4 inch wide about an 1/8 in on the narrow side and about 3/8 inch on the thick side.. so I did learn that those races made knives that stood up very well in very abrasive conditions,, and I learned that a single point in hardness can make a noticable difference,, and last but not least,, a person can become very attatched to a tool that really works.
Bear

Cool story thanks, Bear. :) Alvin in AZ