First un-suck knife

Strictly speaking this is off-topic since I used stock removal rather than forging techniques to make this knife. On the other hand, the blade started out straight and only took on its gentle curve upon quenching - a pleasant surprise. It's made from a section of non-carbide tipped circular saw blade, and the scales are hammered sterling silver held on with five flush sterling silver rivets. The temper is drawn to roughly spring hardness, and it feels surprisingly supple - I don't care to try destructive testing on it to see how far it bends though. It bends about 15 degrees anyways. A file still skates off the edge pretty well. I'm happy to have gone from sad failures to a relatively spectacular success.

-Rust

Reply to
Rust

Wow that is unusual, but looks very cool :-)

Hopefully I've fixed your link :-)

Regards Charles

Rust wrote:

Reply to
Chilla

I tried to send you an email off list with a couple of pics of a knife I'm working on at the moment, but it came back rejected :-(

Guess I'll have to get that site up an running.

Regards Charles

Chilla wrote:

Reply to
Chilla

Chilla wrote in news:44dd1a92$0$5109$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

If you're refering to my address, it's been munged (for all the protection that offers). Just remove the ".netspam" from the end and you'll get a valid address.

-Rust

Reply to
Rust

Reply to
Chilla

Chilla wrote in news:44dd3797$0$11972$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

And a good pic it is. The blade's no slouch either. Do you make your own pattern welded billets?

-Rust

Reply to
Rust

Thanks for the nice words :-).

I certainly do make my own billets, and I'm getting arms like Popeye to prove it... none of this power hammer stuff for me. Someone recently asked me why I didn't buy billets? The answer :- I enjoy making the billets.

It will look nice when I attach the mallee burl grip and damascus bolster and damascus end cap :-)

Regards Charles

Rust wrote:

Reply to
Chilla

Just so you know what I've been sending out... I found some space on the net :-)

Experiment 1

Experiment 2

What I do these days

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Those are really cool, Charles! :)

If anyone needs a spot to post pictures especially -first knife pictures!- email them to me as an attachment. XX=panix, BTW.

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Whoa! Some seriously deep etching, Man. :) Actually look kinda cool, though.

Very pretty! I can see you having lots of fun soon doing other patterns: Not that you're not having fun now. :) You seem to have the Big First Step down, getting good consistent billets welded without cold shuts.

Noce work. Er, make that nice work. :)

Reply to
John Husvar