First un-suck knife

Strictly speaking this is off-topic since I used stock removal rather than forging techniques to make this knife. On the other hand, the blade started
out straight and only took on its gentle curve upon quenching - a pleasant surprise. It's made from a section of non-carbide tipped circular saw blade, and the scales are hammered sterling silver held on with five flush sterling silver rivets. The temper is drawn to roughly spring hardness, and it feels surprisingly supple - I don't care to try destructive testing on it to see how far it bends though. It bends about 15 degrees anyways. A file still skates off the edge pretty well. I'm happy to have gone from sad failures to a relatively spectacular success.
http://www.bmts.com/~othrside/images/Knife%20with%20scale%20-%20circular % 20saw%20and%20sterling.jpg
-Rust
-
Wow that is unusual, but looks very cool :-)
Hopefully I've fixed your link :-)
Regards Charles
Rust wrote:

<
http://www.bmts.com/~othrside/images/Knife%20with%20scale%20-%20circular%20saw%20and%20sterling.jpg
I tried to send you an email off list with a couple of pics of a knife I'm working on at the moment, but it came back rejected :-(
Guess I'll have to get that site up an running.
Regards Charles
Chilla wrote:

If you're refering to my address, it's been munged (for all the protection that offers). Just remove the ".netspam" from the end and you'll get a valid address.
-Rust
-
Okay sent a piccie to you :-) Charles
Rust wrote:

And a good pic it is. The blade's no slouch either. Do you make your own pattern welded billets?
-Rust
-
Thanks for the nice words :-).
I certainly do make my own billets, and I'm getting arms like Popeye to prove it... none of this power hammer stuff for me. Someone recently asked me why I didn't buy billets? The answer :- I enjoy making the billets.
It will look nice when I attach the mallee burl grip and damascus bolster and damascus end cap :-)
Regards Charles
Rust wrote:

Chilla wrote:

Just so you know what I've been sending out... I found some space on the net :-)
Experiment 1 <
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/DSC00052.JPG
<
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/DSC00053.JPG
Experiment 2 <
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/DSC00050.JPG
<
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/DSC00051.JPG
What I do these days <
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/DSC00196.JPG
<
http://members.optushome.com.au/charlesanderson/img/DSC00197.JPG
Regards Charles

Those are really cool, Charles! :)
If anyone needs a spot to post pictures especially -first knife pictures!- email them to me as an attachment. XX=panix, BTW.
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/hosting /
Alvin in AZ

Whoa! Some seriously deep etching, Man. :) Actually look kinda cool, though.

Very pretty! I can see you having lots of fun soon doing other patterns: Not that you're not having fun now. :) You seem to have the Big First Step down, getting good consistent billets welded without cold shuts.
Noce work. Er, make that nice work. :)

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.