Does This Kit Suck ?

...or is it me ?

I've been building a Revell Bell UH-1D, and the kit seems really poor quality, there where no holes in the deck where the plans said there should be. Plus i had a problem with painting ( Humbrol Enamels ) some seemed very think ( black ) and others very thin ( Polished Steel ) And the paints didn't want to stick to the model, the brush was just moving them around on the surface.

What going wrong ?

Zardos

Reply to
Zardos

Is that the one that comes in the German SAR version..????....if so I have built this one with no problems at all and as for the paint...read the instructions...wash the kit in Hot Soapy water first before building to get rid of any moulding release agents....allow to dry and then you will find paint (& glue) sticks no problem. This is not necessary with All kits but does appear on instructions with almost all kits as the odd one does crop up where the release agent is not properly cleaned off. As for the holes....well you can always make your own.

Reply to
Mark Stevens
[snip]

If the paint seems too thick, add some thinner.

If the paint seems too thin, the pigments have probably settled to the bottom and formed a thick sludge, so what you're painting with is mostly thinner & carrier. It's especially bad with metallic paints. You have to loosen up the pigments with a stir stick and mix them back into the paint.

Could be partly due to the paints being too thin.

Did you clean the model first? It may have mold release on it from the manufacturing process, or skin oils from being handled. Try washing with a bit of dish soap & warm water, rinse with clean water, and dry.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

With what should i make them dear lizer dear lizer, with what should i make them dear lizer with what ?

Zardos

Reply to
Zardos

And its much appreciated :-) ( and the other replys too )

So ! these kits, dish-washer safe ???

Zardos

Reply to
Zardos

Ummm, John, other than the decals this kit IS from the bad old days. :-)

Don McIntyre Clarksville, TN

Reply to
Don McIntyre

I hope you're joking.... NO, they're not dishwasher safe. Luke warm water, a squirt of dishdouche on a toothbrush and scrub.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

buy it dinner first then ask again.....

Reply to
who me?

Mini-drill, if you have one, is the right tool for this job, Every Modeller should have one of these tools...you'll know why when you have one...!!! I have 2 now...!!! (Both different power ratings)

Reply to
Mark Stevens

Humbrol paints often needs a lot of stirring, especially the flat ones. The metallic ones will often seem like thinner with the colour particles in the bottom of the tin, the only two solutions are, stir very well or chose another brand like testors, they seem to be better in not having the paint split in thin and thick portions.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

Did you ever go to your dentist and pester him/her for any bits that have become dulled? I found out a long time ago that dental burrs too dull to be used in my mouth are more than good enough for work on plastic. And if your dentist is your friend, you'll get them for free!

The Old Timer

speed , use a pin-vise manual drill more delicate Ken

Reply to
allenx3

A knife point? That's what I used before I got a drill.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Occassionally when planning a painting session later that evening I'll stick a tin or two of paint in my pocket that morning. Daily activity, especially the gym will get the paint mixed quite well. You can stick them in a ziplock if you're worried about leaks.

Alternately, vibratory shell polishers or orbital sanders work real fine for shaking paint.

A non-ferrous bb inside the container does wonders for either application.

I'm working on a way to attach them to my vehicles A-arms without having to crawl under the vehicle.

Someone will probably want to enter a post about stirring but I've found that too messy, especially if you enjoy using power tools! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

velcroing a container to a jig saw blade works for me.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com:

Like a miniature of the gallon-can shakers at Walmart/Kmart? Please explain.

A bb, just like in some nail polish bottles?! It's genious in it's simplicity, but why non-ferrous?

TF

Reply to
TForward

Rust.....

Reply to
Allen Epps

snipped-for-privacy@gustafsen.nu (Claus Gustafsen) wrote in :

I usually stir the paint, then dip the stirring stick into the paint, then use the bottom end of the stick to apply paint to the brush. This way I'm sure I get enough of the pigment onto the brush.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

Steel BB's rust and the flakes will contaminate and then ruin the paint.

Reply to
a0002604

Tie two rubber bands together. Wrap the tin (securily) with one of the bands. Hang the other band over the mirror, the turn signal or some other dangly bit.

As you drive, steer _towards_ pot holes.

When you get home from a pleasant off-roading afternoon, no crawling under a muddy trunk to retrieve your tins!

Reply to
John McGrail