Building or flying this weekend?

Getting past flying season down here cept for them die hard insane type of folks,... er no offence intended ;)

We had a 'build session' club meeting last weekend with a light turnout, but good to some folks enjoying the last of the cool weather. Something about picking up a 100+ degree metal blast deflector that's been sitting in the sun all day that just doesn't do it for me!

My last building 'push' completed replacement and primer of fins on 4 Aerotech rockets. Great fliers, but I'm a wee bit sick of plastic fins with thin roots at this point. I've also got the new PlasterBlaster project 10" nosecone for fill and primer. That's been on a back burner since a cut across my finger has prevented wet sanding. Should get it done on the next 'push' though. I've 2 other Aerotech kits that are at base coat, but some blemish has me pondering the next step. The Warthog rocks, except where the masking was removed. Crapppp. Then there's the several rockets (2 AT, a flipfin, scratch min diameter hypertek) in various stages of construction. Really sucks when primered body tubes get mixed together (what the heck does THIS go to?).

So am I flying or building this weekend? Probably neither. I've just completed installation of 1000ft^2 of grass and sprinkler controls. That was a 5 year back-burner project. While the weather is down in the 90-100 range I can still tolerate wearing my welding gear (jacket,gloves, jeans, helmet...) so the Princess's canopy bed is nearly done (close to paint,... YUCK! I'd rather be melting steel with fire!!!!). I've a neighbor's fence to fix (rock band singer, good times), and I need to redesign my WokPad a bit. There's also a campout coming up and some equipment to fix for the scouts. I guess if I get parts sorted to their appropriate rocket (if I can FIND them all), I'll consider that a successful build session!

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Sounds like you've got some big projects planned. Here in New Mexico the weather is great, except for the winds. Right now that makes flying from

10a - 6p impossible.

I have a Acme Spitfire that I need to modify. I need to adjust the weighting, change the shockcord to kevlar string and put a more compact chute in. If I get that done, it would motivate me to get a few early morning launches in on Monday.

My buddy has a Initiator that lawn darted a few weeks back. We're thinking of stripping the body and reworking it. Sunday he's coming by with the wife to do some ribs. We will likely use the spare time to down a few and do that. Again, if we get that done, an early morning launch might be in the works.

Who else has plans? I'd rather talk about this than Jerry's latest exploits...

Reply to
Jeff Inman

Unfortuneately the weather up here, North-central Wisconsin, doesn't look like it is going to allow us to launch on sunday. So, I plan on doing a final inspection of my L1 rocket(Money Pit) for my cert attempt on June 6th, meeting with a club member so he can borrow some of my rockets for a Demo launch at a school on tuesday. Finish painting my tres wild, weasel and big daddy. Build my heliroc and my mach busting rocket. And clean the apartment. Meanwhile my wife is going to build her Dueces wild, Rhino and Starburst.

Reply to
Zak Orion

How cute!!! Great Picture!!!

Is the project the child... ?

... and the helper the Hobby?

;)

Reply to
Mark

Too cute, is it any wonder we don't get any work done at all? I have a shot of my then 2 year old standing in the V2 with the nosecone held over her head.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

This is my current project and helper .

Mike

I resemble that remark! :)

Reply to
RayDunakin

She's a cutie pie!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Well we launched a small G this weekend, it catoed and she was excited by it.

construction.

Reply to
Mike

Heck, here in the Green Mountain State we're still getting frost warnings on particularly cool evenings. The flying season's just barely started now that the fields have dried up enough to drive out to where the pads get set up.

I'm building this weekend, in preparation for the club launch in a couple of weeks and LDRS in a month.

ScottE

Reply to
ScottE

Once again, Rachel wanted to spend her birthday weekend flying rockets. I guess I trained her right. We drove down to Muncie and spent the weekend flying with the ROCI folks at the AMA site. Saturday weather was pretty good, but the wind was towards the dreaded power lines, and kept much big stuff from flying. Sunday was windy, and quickly turned to rain. We tore down just in time to be mostly packed when the rain started.

I understand that they did have one L1 cert flight each day. I had fun flying the E9-P motors I finally got. Rachel found a new friend to play with instead of flying rockets, as is typical for her. Still she had fun. And I think Goddard has finally got the hang of rocket launches, barking at every launch like a good rocket dog should.

And we managed to find a hotel room for Saturday night, in spite of some event a bit to the south having most of the town booked up...

Bob Kaplow