Arizona Rocket Gathering

Arizona High Power Rocketry Assoc, AHPRA, is hosting the first Arizona
Rocket Gathering, ARG, Feb 28 and 29 2004
Saturday will be certified motors, Sunday EX.
More information at,

Mark Clark
Prefect
AHPRA
Reply to
Mark Clark
Sounds like I need a business trip to our Scottsdale office in late Feb / early March...
Bob Kaplow
Would love to meet you Bob. Come on out. You will see some really cool rockets fly. These local boys are big into EX and big projects and they know what they are doing. I don't know if the Gila Monster or Mini Gila Monster will fly, but it will be a good time anyway.
Regards,
Mark Saunders BSD High Power Rocketry Glendale, AZ
snipped-for-privacy@bsdrocketry.com 623-486-5655

Mark Saunders
Last time I got to a Phoenix area launch via a business trip was 1995. Given current projects, I do expect some to come my way inthe next year, and will efinitley hook up with rocket folks in the process.
Bob Kaplow
Hmm, I just got back from Phoenix on Friday. I will have to take a closer look at the schedule next time I am out that way.
RDH8

Robert DeHate
Doh, I just checked the schedule, there was a launch today. Now just to convince the shipping department they need to ship this box to me.
RDH8
Reply to
Robert DeHate
has launches on the second Saturday of the month.
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith
Whenever I have a business trip the FIRST hting I check is the schedule for the local rocket folks. More than once I've been able to adjust a trip schedule to have me be there at a time that lets me get together or even fly with the local club.
Bob Kaplow
Before the shipping became a legal nightmare, I just interofficed a box of motors to a colleague down there, and did likewise to get them back. Last year I interofficed my footlocker of models to SLC, but their launch was cancelled due to the fire hazards. With the new regs I figure the safest thing to do is buy what I need at the site, and fly everything I buy.
Bob Kaplow
No longer possible in Phoenix.
Joel. phx
> > Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD" > >>> To reply, remove the TRABoD!
Reply to
Joel Corwith
No more vendors or hobby shops in Phoenix area?
Bob Kaplow
The only vendor in the area selling high-power motors (Space Modeling Solutions) went out of business.
Reply to
Ken Sparks
Ken's response is pretty much on the money. No on-site vendor. There are hobby shops in Phoenix. Do you want trains, RC cars, or planes? HobbyBench has a diminished box of Aerotech motors, of which G no longer exist. Our HobbyLobby (no affiliation with the mid-west variety) was down to almost nothing and they were dumping very old labeled 18mm reloads last I was in. There was a report of 1 hobby store on the south side with motors, but I've not visited. Estes kits and motors are still about, even Walmart (few launchables). But even there, 'E's are not to be found (used to get them at CraftMart 40% off coupons).
Joel. phx
We will most certainly have to abandon NAR to continue flying bigger rockets.
Reply to
Joel Corwith
This is a telling statement.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
I don't think so. Motors are still available with the right paperwork, and hybrids can be just as exciting as solids if you don't like paperwork.
We should also note that high-power kits are also readily available; Mark Saunders of BSD Rocketry flys with us and delivers kits to the launches, and Andy Woerner of What's Up Hobbies comes to our major launches with kits and motors.
Reply to
Ken Sparks
Snip
Yeah, It was sad to see SMS go out of business.
FYI:
Hobbytown USA in North Scottsdale (Pima & Shea)has G64 reloads, G35 econojets, and G80's on the pegs along with F21 econos. Don't remember If I saw any E's or C11's. This store a good job of staying on top of the restocking.
Adventure hobbies in South Chandler (Ray & Dobson) has similar stock as well as some larger stuff (I,J,K) last time I was in there. They also have the largest stock of kits I've ever seen including LOC, AT, Estes, Quest, Custom, and oddly enough Custom's line of bodytubes and parts. They also have a lot of Mid power parts like tubes, centering rings, etc. If you've never been in there it's worth the drive for you west side folks.
I noticed that Wallyworld is carrying the little rocket cars and 13mm Plugged motors. There's a brush fire waiting to happen...
Toys R us is now stocking the wallyworld style launchables stuff now for a bit higher cost.
The only Michaels that I have ever seen rockets at in PHX is the one at 20th st and Camelback, but their stock was pretty worthless.
It's interesting (sad, really) that Hobby Bench is not a good supplier being that it is owned by Lee Piester.
My two cents... -Chr$ NAR 79536 L1
Reply to
Chr$
"Joel Corwith" wrote in news:WuJnb.1105$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:
Why?
len.
Reply to
Leonard Fehskens
Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to make a day trip round the 101.
MetroCenter and I-17/101 have Estes. Pretty worthless.
They do have an isle of Estes, and some Aerotech, but not many motors.
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith
Paperwork doesn't help storage. Or storage is needed for the paperwork to happen.
Check out the comments on ROL about safe distance and a hybrid motor tank rupture.
Our major 'launch'. Both What's Up and Just Rockets were available for motor purchases at the GHS launch. Recovery Technologies is at almost every launch, but that doesn't get the birds up,...
Joel. phx
And we couldn't have a launch without Guy's Hotdogs!!
Reply to
Joel Corwith
SMS had all the paperwork in place (even if not needed) as well as a storage magazine (so he could illegally store a non-explosive).
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith