This is flying.

Work went well enough and was finished by 0830. Arrived home to complete the charging requirements for both the airplane and flight box. Put on the Airplane's skiis and packed the car. Confirmed with my flying partner that he was still able to fly since, being a faithful Federal employee working in the District of Columbia, he had the day off to help celebrate the gala inaugural festivities. We celebrated by flying off our snow covered field, located about 10 miles outside of Annapolis, MD. The snow wasn't so deep as to be a nuissance and dry enough not to get us totally soaked. After several flights successful each and, with our fingers sufficiently numb, it was decided that a visit to a local hobby shop was in order. Can it get much better then this?

Steve Barnett Arnold, MD

Reply to
SBarn18665

LOL! It was blowing down here, but beautiful and smooth. Flying was great! I love the smell of nito, in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and at dusk. I refuse to get up at dawn for that!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Tribute got stuck in a tree. mk

Reply to
MK

Yea, you coulda been doing it in Phoenix where it was 75 degrees and sunny!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Did it stay stuck?

Reply to
Steve Banks

Yup!

Last Sat...

Fired up the 172, (1:1 Scale) and went of to do some spins, stalls, chandelles, a couple of practice forced approaches, a few steep turns.

Tried a few 8's with the airspeed idicator hardly moving and the stall warning horn squeeking, (REALLY slow flight)..

landed, picked up an instructor for some more instrument training....it got dark, calm, clear, about -12 C.

Lights ofthe city are beaut on a clear night..

Next day, calm, shock flier in the front yard, then a Cobalt powered "real' electric over at the ball field..

Got my flying "fix" after 3 wks of lousy weather and a head cold...

BTW, I've recovered... :)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

SPINS in a C-172? I could have sworn it was placarded against those. I love slow flight in any size aircraft. My favorite trick is to wait until we get one of those screaming norther's and go to the north (or south for that matter) practice area in a C-150, turn into the wind, slow down (pitiot tube cover closes - ), and then check in with Approach Control. After about

5 minutes you can tell if it is a new guy or not.
Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High
172s aren't placarded against spins unless they've had STOL kits or some similar mods installed. A 172 is in fact reluctant to spin, and if you can get it to spin it will fall out into a tight spiral after a turn or so. 1974 and later 172s had a larger wing leading edge radius that tamed the stall and made it even harder to spin. 150s spin much better. Some later models would tend to go flat after a couple of turns, and recovery involved really hard down elevator. We use Citabrias for spin training; the older, rectangular wing design with no washout has a more defined stall and so spins more readily.

Dan

Reply to
Dan_Thomas_nospam

Yup!

No prob,and no placard! You have to be loaded in "utility" category, which really means (essentially) - no back seat passengers or baggage)...

This is an "M" model,( large wing leading edge radius), and you REALLY have to try hard... A little power is required, and when the horn starts, you hafta lift the nose "quite briskly" to get any "break " at all. A little touch of power as the (full) rudder is applied, and on a good day you might get 2 turns, but usually less.

It is really that hard to spin...recovery is instant upon relaxing the inputs, but correct technique is required to keep the speed within safe limits on the pull out.

Spins are required for your licence in Canada...so training aircraft have to be capable. The 152 is MUCH better at spins than the

172, and loads of fun!

Was in a 55 knt headwind 2 wks ago at 2500 ft. Shouda tried to park it! :)

Would have been possible...!

Wind on the ground was dead calm! Still had 35 knts at 1000 ft!

Strange but true...but rare conditions..

Dave

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:42:11 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High" that matter) practice area in a C-150, turn into the wind, slow down (pitiot

Reply to
Dave

Sorry, wrong term. Was recalling the POH and should have pulled it from the flight case first. Serious case of hoof and mouth, er finger disease again. Never the less, you are right about the utility configuration.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Better is the first flight of the year on New Years day no matter what the conditions...... Notice the temp, wind, and windchill. LOL

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Thomas & Erin Skoropad