SEM arrived

SEM arrived this morning. An interesting and varied issue, I thought.

In the classifieds, there is a WW1 Douglas engine, sans Marconi generator but otherwise in very good order.

Don't all rush at once, he wants a thousand quid for it!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Blimey!,

I was going to give him a ring, I don't think I'll waste his time now! That's about the fifth time this week I've been shocked at the prices some people are asking (and paying) for our prized possessions.

I noted in SEM also a Lister trolley going for £150! Nice, but is it really worth that?

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

This is not a first Mark, genuine trolleys can command good money at auctions. I would say that £150 is over the top, but the seller might come down a bit from the stated price. I bought a genuine Lister trolley recently for half that price, which I felt was good value. People often underestimate the cost of making a trolley, finding good wheels, turning axles, buying decent wood and providing some steering is not cheap and can be time consuming.

The fact that most engines were fixed to a concrete foundation, rather than being bought as portables means that original trolleys are less common than engines, so can be expensive.

I'm an anorak about original trolleys and feel the engine make a much better display mounted on the proper type of trolley for the engine.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Arthur,

You make a good point.

I made a trolley recently after I found some nice cast wheels in a scrap yard (£35). You're right, if you take into account the price of about 10 ft of oak (not cheap at all) and all of the other bits and pieces it probably cost the best part of £75 to £100 to build - that's obviously not taking into account the time. And at the end of it all, you have hopefully a nice repro. but not an original.

Maybe £150 is not all that bad!

Regards

MARK

Mark Howard

auctions. I would say that £150 is over the top,

genuine Lister trolley recently for half that

making a trolley, finding good wheels,

cheap and can be time consuming.

than being bought as portables means that

better display mounted on the proper type of

Reply to
Mark Howard

I'm particularly proud of my lambs-tongue stopped chamfers (made with a spokeshave) on timber framing work. So I was _most_ unhappy to hear them once referred to as router work !

I know what you mean though. Once you've seen one over-enthusiastic application of the bearing-guided roman ogee, you've seen them all.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I came across this picture some time ago while researching my similar engine:-

had been wondering how drive was carried from the engine to the generator with a horse in the way! I thought perhaps the frame was for transport only and the units were bolted to a base for use. But a recent visit to the Royal Sigs museum at Blandford camp produced a picture of the set in use with the frame sitting on the ground and a large diameter (probably tubular) drive shaft running between the units. I guess that the drive shaft must have been removed for transport, either that or a specially adapted horse was required ;-)

Wonder if this chap has sold his engine yet, I can't believe it will fetch what he is asking, mine came as a swap for a none too good Stuart R4 on a gen set base (no dynamo), which was probably worth less than £100.

Reply to
Nick H

I did make him an offer and said I'd negotiate to some extent and he responded by suggesting that he might come down a bit - but it was only a bit! He has a collection of aero engines from the early years of the last century and veteran and vintage cars that was started by his father, so his bar is set several notches higher than most of ours ;o))

It appeared that he was basing his figures on the fact that a six cylinder car magneto had cost him nearly five hundred quid and therefore an engine was worth more than that. As the would-be vendee, I was not in a good position to disabuse him of this stance!

He also said that he'd already had a couple of interested calls and - like me - their first question was "does it have the generator fitted"! He thought that was very odd as it wasn't going to be used purposefully, after all ..........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn