Smutty dilemma

All, I've promised faithfully that I will show an engine at a friend's do. I have not had much time to give it much thought recently, and mused which of my scruffy heaps I would drag along. I can pick faults with many of them, those that do not need restoration are less interesting or just plain don't go.

In the back of my mind all along was the thought that I could always take the Petter S 5hp, as it runs nicely, looks quite respectable and they are not much seen at rallies in this neck of the woods. Now that I've got the blowlamp stand casting machined and its bent bar bracket done, it will look quite smart with its blowlamp sat on it. Then Rex Chatfield's article in the latest SEM set my alarm bells ringing.

Should I be concerned about being lynched/tarred and feathered/sold into white slavery in a gay harem? My impression has always been that the real smutty villains are Petter Ms and their lookalikes. I haven't got anything poratble to load it with, though I could possibly borrow a friend's pump (about Lister H2 size).

All advice gratefully received.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Neither M nor S are smutty if either loaded or not over-oiled. If you drain both crankcase and exhaust pot at the beginning of each day you should suffer no opprobrium. However IIRC yours has been run off-load for years so the pot may be heavily coked. There are several ways of decoking the pot, my favourite involves a propane torch with the pot DOWNwind of the washing line :-) regards Roland

have not had much time to give it much thought

pick faults with many of them, those that do

the Petter S 5hp, as it runs nicely, looks

the woods. Now that I've got the blowlamp stand

with its blowlamp sat on it. Then Rex

white slavery in a gay harem? My impression

lookalikes. I haven't got anything poratble to

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

There's one good thing Arthur, all that oil means they wont have far to look for a tar substitute. :-))

Notice the snipping Roland :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I would certainly take the S-type Arthur as the sound that they make gets them an almost universally good reception.

I also agree with Roland that S-types are generally pretty clean. If you intend to run it off load all the time I would take the sprayer out and screw the needle right down onto the seat so that you get the finest spray possible. This will also help to keep the heat in the hot-bulb but check that the resistance on the fuel pump hasn't become too great as the roller on the cam can bite into the cam surface as it struggles to force up the pump. If you have a little time for a test run shifting the fuel pump cam a little one way or the other in conjunction with the sprayer should eventually lead to a crystal clear exhaust. Again like Roland says take off the pot and give it a good clean. I am taking the boat out and thus the 12/14 for its first trip of the new season on Sunday so will need to get the soot out of the box from last year first. I don't want a scavenge fire again. It's a bit easier on the marine engine as the exhaust box has removable end plates so you can reach inside.

Happy blowlamping! I love that smell of the freshly struck match going to light the meths before the five minutes of relative calm before trying to bring the engine to life.

John

Reply to
John Macdonald Smith

When I was a greasy handed bike mechanic, I used to have a short way with coked up silencers which worked well for the black painted moped silencers and the chromed ones of impoverished owners. I'd frequently tried the caustic soda business with very little success, so evolved a more definite approach.

Warning him/her that the process would definitely ruin the chrome, I'd take the system off, mount it in the vice and use the oxy-acetylene to start the carbon burning. After a bit of practice, you could turn off the acetylene, crank up the oxygen and watch the red hot ring of metal progress up the pipe and silencer, removing every trace of greasy carbon. It always worked but did create a lot of very acrid smoke. Occasionally, there would be a very loud bang just to keep me on my toes - but Hell, I was young and going to live forever, wasn't I?

I did enough of then to make it worth building up an extractor fan from a car heater motor and lots of old flexible pipe that there was lying around upstairs and this kept the air around me in a breathable state.

What it did for the general air pollution in central Bristol was another matter!

As to Petter exhaust pots et all, it has occurred to me that it would be a Good Idea to just invert them so the pipe points downwards. Is there room to do that?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Kim et al, thankfully I haven't got access to oxy-acetylene, so I won't be at risk of frightening the sheep to death with exploding Petterpot!

Time and weather permitting I may have a go at the pot this weekend.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Martin, I've thought of that, I won't take any feathers :-)) Regards, Arthur G