18" Mitutoyo micrometer batteries

I have two Mitutoyo digital micrometers. I thought that they required SR44 batteries, but, alas, they do not fit (are too thick). So maybe, for these older micrometers, a diff. battery is required. Any idea what is the battery that they need?

These are very big, 18", micrometers.

Ignoramus32527

Some electronic scales require a different voltage for the battery. The batteries are a little smaller. Im not sure of the other number but I ran into the same problem a while ago.

John

Reply to
John

Um, have you tried Mitutoyo? Just a thought... They ARE still in business. Hopefully they aren't old enough that they need mercury cells.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Here's a really novel thought. Open up the battery compartment, remove a dead battery, read the information on the battery, buy a new one.

Reply to
DanG

Wal-Mart jewelry counter (and probably many others) should have a plastic gage with cutouts for different button battery sizes if you have a battery or can measure the holder.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

No battery in the compartment.

Ignoramus32527

That's a great idea! (along with calling Mitutoyo). I tried calling them once and spent about 20 minutes on hold. I will try once more.

Ignoramus32527

What is the model. All or most (I did not thave time to check every one) the Mitutoyo Micros use SR44 batteries.

Did you look at

??

-- John G.

Reply to
John G

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:16:11 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus32527 quickly quoth:

That makes a great deal of difference in the LCD readout intensity, Ig. They're considerably brighter and more legible with a battery installed.

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

... but still not bright enough for Iggiot to read the battery type right near or in the battery-compartment!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Yes, without batteries, I have a strange symptom, which is that the screen does not light up!

Ignoramus23382

I have a couple of Mitutuyo digital calipers and the battery type is printed on the battery compartment compartment label. Mitutuyo has some sort of facility just off I-88 on the east side of Aurora, so you may find it quicker to drive over there rather than wait on hold .

Reply to
Mike Henry

My digital Mitutoyo caliber takes a 357 battery. Easy to remember. Maybe that's what you need?

1/8" H x 7/16" diameterPower:1.5 volts
Reply to
Dan

I thought that 357 was the same as SR44???

Ignoramus23382

Yep -- both magnum calibers. :-)

But yes -- they are interchangeable -- though you want to be sure that it is marked SR357 not just 357 -- same for the SR44s.

And my 12" Mitutoyo digital caliper runs on SR357 batteries. (I forget whether it uses one or two -- but I need it seldom enough so it is usually time to swap batteries when I need to use it. :-) The 6" ones do the job most of the time, so the 12" lives in its fitted wooden case.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

You could perhaps just measure the battery compartment? 357 AKA SR44 is nominally 11.6 mm (.457") dia x 5.4 mm (.213") thick. A specimen that was in my Mitutoyo, a G13-A, is a few thou smaller in both dimensions. I replaced it with a 357.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Don, I will measure tonight. The SR44 battery that I bought for this caliper, did not fit, but by a small margin.

Ignoramus9314

Reply to
stans4

The alkaline button batteries tend to bulge when they get old and after use. Some come pre-bulged, too. IRC, the 357 is a silver oxide, not an alkaline. Supposed to give longer life although I never had THAT particular experience wiht my calculator.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

???