(More) Mitutoyo micrometer nomenclature questions

You may remember me from my "what's this whammerjammer" post...

I can't find anything on my Mics: 293-723-10 and 293-724-10.

According to the manual there are other versions of the 293 series with a "dash 10" designation

, but I'm damned if I can find mine.

Some mics are designated "dash 30", some have no such suffix at all.

What in the hell is the difference, if any? Is one "better" than another? -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

gpsman wrote in news:1180884124.182272.125530 @q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I don't have an older Mitutoyo catalog handy but I could probably dig one up if it's really important to you.

IIRC, the "-10" means that it is inch/metric. The "-30" means it is inch metric with SPC output, but I could be wrong.

The mics in the picture are inch/metric with SPC output, ratchet thimbles, and carbide faces. They would be the more expensive variation within that model. But not the most expensive digitals, the "Quick-Mikes" would be a lot more expensive for example. As would be a thread mike or blade mike.

Reply to
D Murphy

I'd be ever so grateful. Mostly for curiosity, and to quell my obsession with trying to find it on the net. I'm getting pretty sick of that.

And a rotating spindle...

That seems to be the general consensus among those who know some, but not enough, about mics in general. "Those are really nice models", but they're not sure why.

I don't see anything special about them. They're not stupendously accurate. Hell, they only measure a range of an inch!

The most important thing to me is what are they worth NOW.

My problem is that I fell into an opportunity to buy and sell a lot of stuff of which I know little or nothing. It was an accident, I was semi-retired. But this is so much damned fun I can't walk away from it.

I sold a $30K piece of equipment for $4000 a little while ago because I only had a grand in it, and nobody I know knew any better (lemme tell ya, that left a f***in mark that might never go away). I've got nothing in the mics, so I'd like to make a little of that up. I don't need to get top dollar, but I don't want to give them away either.

So I appreciate any help I can get.

And late thanks to everybody who responded to my whammerjammer inquiry. ------

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

My catalog # 1100 (1975) doesn't show series 293 at all - must be to old. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

gpsman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Sorry, I forgot all about this today, but I can answer your questions.

They all have that. Except the newer "Quick-Mike" models which cost double of the ones you have.

If you had to replace those, the new model numbers would be 293-332 for the 2-3" and 293-333 for the 3-4". Prices would be in the $280.00 - $300.00 for the 2-3" and $300.00 - $320.00 for the 3-4"

The new models are better than the older ones that you have. They are rated for IP65 coolant/dust protection and are a little more compact. Even though the new ones are better, the price for your models when new would have been in the same ballpark, maybe even a little higher. But pressure from cheap Chinese tools has kind of put a damper on prices in the last five or so years. The same micrometers from a Chinese company would cost nearly $200.00 less.

You have the same issue in spades. Do I buy a brand new Chinese micrometer (unknown quality) for $120.00 or do I buy yours (known quality but unknown condition) for $120.00? The decision gets easier if you list yours for $200.00.

A digital 2-3" Mitutoyo in the shape yours is in would sell for $110.00 to $140.00 used. The 3-4" would sell for about the same plus maybe 20 bucks on the high end.

All things considered getting anywhere near 1/2 the price of new for used is doing pretty good IMO. I try to limit myself to 1/4 - 1/3 when buying used, depending on the item and due to the risk.

They are accurate to around .0001" and have a resoulution of .00005". which is pretty much the limit for a micrometer. A 1" range is normal.

You can do a search of closed auctions on Ebay. But the values I gave above are in the ballpark. The tricky thing is whether they are worth more or less seperate from each other. A lot of guys have a 0-1" and a 1-

2" digital but not the larger sizes. So as a set with the case, it might bring a few more bucks. But they higher combined price will knock out all of the guys who are interested in just one or the other, so who knows?

The big issue for me is the age of these. Even though they look to be in great shape, they could crap out tomorrow. It's the main reason I don't like digital micrometers in general (when I'm buying that is). A conventional micrometer will last nearly forever. Around $150.00 new and $50.00-$75.00 used in like new condition.

You should get yourself an MSC catalog or Travers Tool catalog. They will send them to pretty much anyone with a pulse and they are great for new price research.

Ebay is great for used price research.

Reply to
D Murphy

Thanks. I think I'll leave them to the daughter. I know I've invested $200 of my time researching the damn things so I didn't get them for nothing after all.

Dammit...

But I learned something. Too bad I'm too old to remember it for long. -----

- gpsman

Reply to