Looking for Douglas 5FT bits

You may have noticed an ex auto truck (or similar) Douglas 5FT SV twin for sale on E-bay and I bought it, collecting it on Monday. It was an entirely serendipitous day. I was in Gloucester on a school visit and he was in Gloucester on a course. We met in the Travel Inn car park and he wouldn't even take the whole of the £21.89 I'd successfully bid, let alone the twenty five quid I offered him. A real enthusiast, he was more interested in seeing it go to a good home.

I've noticed that the magneto - I need three flat twin mags now! - is driven via a special gear, not a rubber coupling like a lot of other engines.

In theory, it ought to be a double gear, as the small spur gear you can see in the shot looking into the timing case drives the governor and doesn't rotate when the crank is turned. However, the carb has been replaced with a later Solex instrument and is rigged for a manual throttle, so I shall not loose too much sleep if the governor isn't connected.

You'll notice it is sans starting handle etc and it appears to require a right angle drive - although anything that fits would be fine to start with. Any bits to aid the restoration would be most gratefully received in exchange for drinking vouchers or a swap if I've a thing you like.

Otherwise, the engine appears to be in very good condition, comfortingly covered in a layer of dirt and grease which I have every intention of leaving totally undisturbed! The addition of a fan (probably home made), a magneto, a tank and some exhaust bits ought to see it up and running and it is (just) not too heavy to lug in and out of the Volvo.

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn