Does This Kit Suck ?

I had bad early experiences with Humbrol paint. My usual method of mixing paint is to stick two BB's into a bottle or tin and shake vigorously. This didn't work on some Humbrol paint tins. So I started putting two BBs into a new tin and using a toothpick to stir up the "gunk" that has settled to the bottom. Then I close the tin with a rubber mallet and shake vigorously. The paint comes out really well after that. I suspect that people who have bad experiences with Humbrol paint (and possibly other brands) are simply not mixing the paint well enough.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Not so much for enamels but for acrylic paint a ferrous bb will rust.

Sure, anything that vibrates can be used for this (don't go in your wife's drawer! 8^) ) My vibratory shell polisher has a dished top so I merely lay the bottles on their sides and watch them roll around. For a vibratory sander, take a piece of shower curtain or other suitable fabric and cut to fit where the sandpaper goes. I attached a ziploc bag with some duct tape. I then hung the contraption off the basement ceiling so it wouldn't damage anything whilst bouncing around unsupervised. Five minutes is usually perfect. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Allen Epps wrote in news:291020040637032655% snipped-for-privacy@delete.mitre.org:

Rust. Of course...duh me.

TF

Reply to
TForward

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m27.aol.com:

If that was a snake...

Are you talking about something like this?

TF

Reply to
TForward

I managed to find some stainless steel BB's a few years ago, not sure where, Wally World I think--works like a champ. I usually do a stir to unsettle the gunk, then shake. Haven't had any problems, yet.

.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658

I use good ol' fishing weights.....real cheap.....

Reply to
who me?

ROTFL!

-- -- -- -- -- "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." George Orwell

My Home Page:

Bill Woodier

I use Humbrol paint almost exclusively for painting my little 1/72 figures. It's true they require a lot of mixing, but I think the effort is worth it. So far my use has been limited to flats, but here's my approach... I purchased one of those battery powered paint stirrer for about $9. I've been using it for over half a year on the same single AA battery. There's one bottle of Testors thinner I use to clean the stirrer, so I'm not excessively gunking up my paintbrush thinner. Actually, I always have 3 bottles at any given time....one for the stirrer, one for my paintbrushes, and one new in reserve. Most any good hobby shop sells this battery powered stirrer, or you might order it from Micro Mark. Hope this helps.

Randy IPMS Houston

We're living in a world that's been pulled over our eyes to blind us from the truth. Where are you, white rabbit?

Reply to
Randy Pavatte

in article snipped-for-privacy@mb-m06.aol.com, Keeper at snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy wrote on 10/29/04 12:20 AM:

I have had brass BBs discolor enamels - whether they were plated or not I don't know. The silver plated ones have never posed a problem.

Leo

in article BDA99E7D.148% snipped-for-privacy@cox.net, Leo at snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote on

10/30/04 6:39 PM:

Lead shot works best, if you can find it.

Ken

Reply to
KJC

Three options, visit your local trap and skeet range and ask to sift some from the field. Five minutes work would likely yield enough for a lifetime of shaking. Another option, find someone who reloads shotshells and trade a quality ale for a cup of shot. Either one likely to yield a lifetime but it will be smaller (7 1/2 -9) the third option would be to visit your local sporting good store and buy a box of #2 shotshells and cut them open. Cost for these solutions range from free to on the order of $ 4.50

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. Mine is a Lyman but any brand will do. While I'm polishing cases I'm mixing paint! Multitasking I think they call it...

If it's possible to install the top upside down on the RCBS you mentioned you'd have a dished top and you merely lay your paint container on it's side and let it roll around on it's side for a while. I've gotten thirty year old paint functional again with this method. Not that I needed to-it was the challenge! hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I used to shoot registered skeet so I went through a lot of 25 lb bags of #9 as I would shoot on the order of 20,000 rounds a year. In fact the group I shot with would buy it by the ton as a group buy and split it up. But I suggested the idea of getting a cup or picking some up because I thought the average modeler (certainly for those of us that build 1/72) has no need for 25 lbs of the stuff. Would be a good buy for a club though.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

When I bought mine, it was the smallest bag that the seller had (he usually sold to clubs and I was one of only a few using the stuff for other than shotting). Was real cheap, as I recall.

The Old Timer

I haven't done much reloading since they closed the local Trap range down. I used to go through a 25 lb. bag or so a week; now I've got enough model weight for a lifetime. Sure miss the range! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comedy (Keeper) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m10.aol.com: