flint striker question

Here is a url for a knife making video www.livelyknives.com I bought it and found it quite informative.

It's not there anymore. Just a few days ago I was finally getting around to downloading it and it was gone :-(
-- Bill H. [my "reply to" address is real] www.necka.net Molon Labe!

Would that be Andrew Jordan? British maker working out of Holland. Goes through the making of a multiple-twisted-bar pattern-welded knife. Folded Kaowool over his blades for annealing, IIRC. He's on http://www.jordanknives.com /
The URL for the video changed - http://www.rvu.nl/rvu.php?i=2&l=0&n 0 Luckily for me, it is in English with Dutch subtitles.
Of course, if that isn't the video you meant, ignore me, I'll go and sit in a corner <G>
Peter
--------------0CEB00AFCC1146245A2DEAA7 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Peter wrote:
--------------0CEB00AFCC1146245A2DEAA7--
Thanks for the links! I was bummed that I couldn't find it. I get something out of that video everytime I watch it.
GA

Greyangel wrote:

"Because that's what's in the textbook!" That was the answer I got. It's like the ring-hilted Viking swords. Various attributes have been ascribed to the ring; religious (always a favorite when it comes to Grant money time), political, decorative. But no one seems to see the pragmatic functionality of the ring, ie you can tie it to your wrist with a thong which will lessen the possibility of dropping the weapon overboard in action. I love archeology; every potshard a chalice, every stonepile a temple, every midden heap a trove. It's all about the grant money. How many prestegious Universities would pony up million$ to go dig up a landfill?
Charly

<chuckle>
Guess one of my professors was an honest man: He was wont to say that archeology consists mainly of robbing graves and puttering about in trash dumps. :)
Then there was my Physical Anthropology professor, a very well-known expert in bipedal locomotion: He'd end the course with the disclaimer that, since it was impossible to repeat the experiment to "prove" evolutionary theory, everything we'd studied throughout the semester might, in fact, be pure bullshit and that the creationists could be right after all -- but he doubted it, since the evidence mostly pointed the other way. :)

Truer words were never said. :)
Another thing that bothers the heck out of me is when they suddenly realize those old timers were smarter than they thought! Grrrr...
Snooty bastards. :/
That guy spent his whole life in and around school if he were to be thrust back, he'd friggin get sick and/or starve to death in no time.
People all along have been doing the best they can with what they had to work with and were using all the brain power they could muster, which I believe was more than the "fudal/slave" system we live in now requires.
And not just different knowledge... the stakes were more immediate and higher both, for their whole lives.
Not for a second would I want to trade places with those in the Hanoi Hilton but I figure there were people back in pre-history (or even right now -today- in certain places) would loved the hell out of being in there. It's all relative.
Just read an article in the Science News about Neandertals (their spelling) and how smart they were... it was cool and about friggin time someone recognized that. :)
Alvin in AZ
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

In around 1900, the Germans modernized their spelling, and the 'h' went away. A hundred years later, we're catching up with them.
Neandertal = Neander (a particular river) + Tal, which means approximately valley. Valley of the Neander, and its inhabitants.
- ken
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:23:29 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Nothing wrong with a big schnozz and bushy eyebrows....
Charly the Bastard wrote: >

Ask me again in two hundred years, I bet I can find several who are doing just that.
Jamie Hart wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. Personally, I carve 'Acme Instant Rock Corp." in every patch of wet cement I can find, just to screw with archeologists. Maybe they'll mistake all those Roadrunner cartoons for commercials, that would be a hoot.
Charly
Andy Dingley wrote:

Actually, the 'urine' bit has merit. Urine is a saturate solution of mainly mineral salts, and this would act like a brine quench, very fast in comparison to oil or plain water. Since alloys 'Way Backe Whene' were mainly plain carbon, a brine quench would freeze the carbides quite quickly, limiting grain growth and producing a higher Rockwell number. As to the merits of Read Head urine over Blondes or Brunettes, that would take a gas chromatograph for a definitive analysis, and a Large sample from the population to even out genetic variations within the groups.
Charly
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:23:43 GMT, Charly the Bastard

If your urine is anything approaching saturation, then you need to drink more (and probably a kidney transplant). It's much closer to plain water than it is to a useful brine.
--
'Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu Evesham wagn'nagl fhtagn'

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bpyboy) wrote in message

ideas for usefull stuff and techniques can be found in the books "new edge of the anvil" isbn 1-879-525-09-2 and "a blacksmithing primer" isbn 0-9662589-1-6. if you like stuff more arcane check out "professional smithing" isbn 1-879335-66-2.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Bpyboy) wrote in message

ideas for usefull stuff and techniques can be found in the books "new edge of the anvil" isbn 1-879-525-09-2 and "a blacksmithing primer" isbn 0-9662589-1-6. if you like stuff more arcane check out "professional smithing" isbn 1-879335-66-2.

Pictures! :)

As many times as I read the answer for that I can't seem to feel sure about it. Seems like an old file is one of the best steels for making sparks? :/

Same here i've read that answer several times too but still don't feel like I know the answer but seems like extra hard's right. :/

Oil works great on water hardening steels if the part is thin. Oil works great on alloyed steels since their hardenability is high enough.
Quenching color is learned. Use a magnet on an old file, just a little hotter than non-magnetic it's ready.
That's the "magnet method" I use what I call the "arrest point method". The steel actually sucks-up extra heat in the process of switching to non-magnetic austenite and the color dulls. No kidding. :) That's tough as anything to see tho! But what -is- easy to see (after you get used to it) is the new dull part next to the bright part after the bright part has gone through the change.
So the outer edges and thinner sections will be bright and the inner area and thicker sections will look "shadowy" and at a relatively sharp contrast. The steel already has enough heat, just give it a few seconds for the process to finish and it's ready to quench when the color evens out.
Get an old file and experiment with it.
Heat it up "too" hot and pull it from the fire and watch it drop down through the arrest point... it'll flash brighter on the way down when it releases the extra energy. :)
You made knives before, what did you do about heat treating?
Alvin in AZ
Bpyboy wrote:

The first thing you'll want is tongs. Get some 1/2 or 9/16 round stock and heat up the end, then lay it across the corner of the anvil and whack down on it. Repeat this in the same spot on the other anvil corner, forming an 'hourglass' shaped flat in the stock. This will be the hinge area of the tongs. Make two of these, then form the short end into the jaws, drill or punch a bolt hole, find a bolt and nut that will fit, then mash the threads after you adjust the tension. Tongs. I'm still using the first set I made, after thirteen years of faithful service at welding yellow.
5160 is an oil harderning alloy. DO NOT use water, the internal stresses of the water quench can actually tear the part apart. I have a knife blade that I keep to remind me, little cracks all down the blade, about one thickness apart, running from the edge to the spine. Full hard, 5160 will Rockwell out at 62-65 C scale and draw to a 59-60 at 375 degrees, which you can do in a cooking oven. Bake for an hour then cool in still air. Quenching temp is 1575 to 1600 F, which is a bit beyond bright cherry red, but not quite to orange. It'll look a bit pink at the edges.
Hope this helps you get whacking...
Charly
thanks for the info guys. I went to the local fab shop yesterday, and in trade for a 12 pack of homebrew, have access to a mountain of raw materials! It's an absolutely staggering pile of used materials (lots of truck springs, cuttoffs of low carbon bar stock....) and other stuff that should keep me bashing away into the next century.
you guys are right---the first thing that needs to be done is to use my Vise-grips to forge an appropriate set of smithing tongs. Pending i can get my forge cranking ok this weekend, that is where i plan to start.
Thanks again John