Home built burner

Kyle J. wrote:

TG I've got a shed full of home brew to retire to if the going gets too rough ;-)
It's okay to retreat as long as there's beer involved ;-)
Regards Charles

And that's the first rule of a good woman - You have to be _allowed_ to retreat when you decide it's time.
GA
When GSG put fingers to keys it was 3/22/07 1:56 AM...

Zinc can be bad: http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/safety3/index.htm
I'm willing to believe that cadmium is even worse.
- C

20$ for the book, another 30 in parts, your halfway to the price of the Rex and you haven't even started yet :-) Personally I value my time pretty highly. I know I sound like a salesman but I mean every word when I talk up those things. I've never seen better.
GA
Kyle J. wrote:

Mike is a gentleman to talk to, apparently he's coming out with another book, but I don't know when it'll see the light of day. I'm on a casting list that he's on.
The people that want to build burners aren't necessarily doing it for the cash saving, sometimes it's to create "the" burner. The book gives the novice the basics, and has a lot of designs for forges and furnaces as well as the burners.
Eventually you can figure out your own designs, as stated earlier in this thread I've designed a very useful burner that is more than hot enough for a home forge, furnace or heating application. It is also very easy to make. The only hard bits are the gas welds, and even those aren't difficult.
Definitely worth buying the book... and no I don't get a commission on sales ;-)
Regards Charles
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:55:23 +1100, Chilla wrote:

So, what list would that be? Been reading lindsay books catalog way too much.....:)
matthew ohio
MatthewK wrote:

I'll send you an invite... bugger inviting seems to be not activated on this list, so :-
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/castinghobby/
Hope to see you there soon.
Regards Charles
Hey all, In the original post the author stated he was in Thailand and duties and shipping added to much to the cost of an already $150. burner. I built mine out of the scrap pile for next to $0.00, from stainless even! No question about the merits of a genuine Rex. But I still think it's like comparing a Vette to a Ferrari, the only much difference is about $100K. GSG
Kyle J. wrote:

Hi Kyle,
Good if you can get black pipe, and if you can I would advise you to do this.
However with the design I outlined galvanised pipe isn't an issue. The flare is the only part that gets seriously hot and the straight connector is stripped of zinc when it is made to force fit the stainless steel flare.
The burner tubes stay "cold", the accelerator stays cold, even the brass elbow stays cold, so there's no issue with "Zinc Flu" or heavy metal poisoning at all ;-)
I like the simplicity of the design as it's more than adequate for any purpose, efficient and extremely easy to build. Added to this you have the option to add forced air if you need to. Doing forging or bronze melting I haven't needed forced air. Now that I'm setting up for wootz, I'm glad I have air as an option.
A burner is only as good as the unit it goes into.
A Bernzomatic JTH-7 (available everywhere) will melt bronze in 3-5 minutes when used with a suitably make micro furnace, or a 1 brick forge. No effort what-so-ever.
Regards Charles
Kyle J. wrote:

Picture! :)
Alvin in AZ
Did you get the picture? Regards Charles
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

No. :/ Oh heck, wasn't expecting an email... :)
You got no place to host your pictures? :)
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/hosting /
And one step from "File 13" is file12...
http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/file12 /
Email the picture/s again and I'll look for them (this time;) and post them if you want?
Alvin in AZ

http://www.panix.com/~alvinj/hosting/CAburner.jpg
If it works, it works. :)
Alvin in AZ
Looks interesting.
I'd use black iron pipe - less zinc in the air.
Having a Ron's version - I suspect you use force air -
I have Ron's version with a large reducer on the end. No fan is needed it draws and the bell increases the velocity.... My torch roars.
Whatever. I also suggest adding a flair to the protective outer pipe you have - it will stabilize the flame on a cold unit or a low flame.
Looks like it got hot! What pressure were you running ? assume propane.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

-
I agree use black iron if you can get it, but zinc fumes are not a problem with this the burner tube stays cold. The stainless steel flare (and it's an alloy used in exhaust pipes) gets hot, but that's it for heating up.
The option for forced air is available, but I don't need it for melting brass and bronze. Maybe when I start making wootz I'll have to use forced air, at this time I only need propane.
It gets hot enough to do the job, I've run it from 50 KPa to 300 KPa, hence the discolouration. The flare has only changed colour, no deformation or corrosion, the alloy is really suited to this purpose.
Regards Charles
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

psi = kPa/6.89 or 7 psi to 43 psi (or 3 atm's)
Forced I guess 43 would be a bit hot - I run in the 30's and it is hot! Naturally it was near the sea level - 400' - rich in oxygen - lots of trees
That seems to get plenty hot and handle more than enough pressure for small furnaces.
Good job.
Had to get my mental cap on - I was working in Slugs and Frigories:-)
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Chilla wrote:

-
I've built maybe 20 of these burners:
http://ronreil.abana.org/burner.gif