Houston, Texas - Wanted: to work with an experienced smith.

Are there any smiths out there in Houston, Texas looking for an apprentice or helper? I'd desperately want to learn Blacksmithing and
welding from an experienced mentor.
I am dependable, hard-working, and really want to work with metal. My paternal great grandfather was a welder, my paternal grandfather was a welder, my maternal grandfather was a lumberman, my dad was a helicopter mechanic and crew-chief in the army, and I have been a draftsman and, most recently, a computer programmer. I have always wanted to have a creative, hands-on trade like blacksmithing and welding. I love the idea of taking something from a rough state and shaping it with my hands and my sweat to form something functional and beautiful.
Unfortunately, my great grandfather and grandfather both died before I was old enough to learn their business of welding and metal work. I have recently moved to Houston, Texas and find myself with the rare opportunity of having the ability to follow this dream.
If you need an apprentice, helper, or just a gopher at your forge or shop, I'd like to volunteer to help you and learn from you. I can be reached via email at snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com.
Furthermore, if anyone knows of someone in the Houston, Texas area that needs a person like me, please email me information on how to contact them (e.g. shop location, phone number, email address, etc.) and I will seek them out.
Sincerely,
Rick Barter